Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My Ford fusion turns over but won't start it makes a hissing…

Customer Question
Hi my Ford fusion...

Hi my Ford fusion turns over but won't start it makes a hissing sound like it's going to start but don't it's a 2006

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Just started today and I think it's coming from the starter I hit it and it made the same sound

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Fusion?

2006

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fusion yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing just tap on the starter

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that is all

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Ford
12/5/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 9 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

So I am clear, the engine will crank and not start or no cranking at all?

It crank with a hissing sound and won't start

Ok

I think we need to start by checking for spark and fuel. If you can, spray some starting fluid directly into the throttle and crank the engine. If it's got spark, it will run for a few seconds on the starting fluid. If not, it will do nothing but continue to crank. Can you please try this and let me know.

Ok

Thanks

Is the security light going off like normal when you are cranking the engine?

when I tap the starter it makes a buzzing noise. I think I may need a new starter cause everything is working fine

Well usually if the car needs a starter, the engine doesn't crank. This is why I believe you are looking at a fuel issue or spark problem. If the starter is only making a buzzing sound, then the engine isn't cranking which would mean yes, you could be right about the starter. I guess I will ask the same question again, is the engine cranking and not starting?

No it's not cranking when I turn the key it just makes that buzzing noise that's coming from the starter area

Ok

Originally you said it was cranking. I will agree it's a possible starter issue. I would however try a jump start first. Just to eliminate the battery as the issue. If it's low on amperage, the starter will react this way. Put a donor car on it for about 15 minutes, then attempt to start it. If it starts have the battery tested.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!