Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Pavlin I have a 1997 Ford f250. My horn and cruise control…

Customer Question
Hello Pavlin I...
Hello Pavlin I have a 1997 Ford f250. My horn and cruise control dont work. I dont have an airbag,so no clock spring. I tested horn and it works when I touch a screwdriver blade to the contacts in the wheel.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
12/5/2017
Ford Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

G​ood evening, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** am a Ford technician and would be happy to assist you with this.

​Do you have a multimeter that you can use for a couple tests?

Hello Gabriel. Sure I have a meter. I’m working now though. Erik
We can do this by email. Recently I took the steering wheel off to fix the upper steering column bearing. That is fixed and now the horn and speed control dosent wqork
Hey Gabriel Tell me what you want me to do with the meter,tests.

We will need to start by testing the conituity (Ohms) on the switch. It should read OL with the switch off, and it should rear 0.0ohms with the switch engaged. It sounds to me like a bad switch may be our issue so we can start there

Thanks Gabriel I will check it later after work. You mean the horn switch in the steering wheel?
I have two horn pads in the steering wheel and both dont work. So,the switches on both of them are bad?seems unlikely
I mean 2 horn pads for the steering wheel. I just bought another one because I thought it was the issue

If the horn still works when you jump the contacts at the wheel then the switches are really the only thing up that high in the circuit that could cause this issue

L​et me know when you get home and can Ohm them out, I will pull up the schematics and see what else could be going on

Ok Thanks

You are very welcome :)

I need to know how this horn circuit works. There is a small electrical connector in the steering wheel that the horn and cruise wires plug into. There is no current at the terminal. Even with the key on. No wonder there is no horn working. There is no power there. Or is there supposed to be??

Alright here is the horn circuit schematic. It looks like you should have one 12V signal and one ground signal at the terminals. So if you do not have power there then the next step will be testing for power signal at the horn relay

There is 12V at the relay

Is there 12V on one or two of the pins? There should be two pins that have 12V. It might be worth a shot to try to swap the relay and see if that changes it

when you take the steering wheel off,there are 3 small prongs sticking out of the column. I presume this is some sort of switch. You can push them in and then they come out if you let go. Now,if I touch a screwdriver blade to the far left prong while touching metal the horn sounds
there was 12 volts on 2 pins. I swapped relay ,same problem

A​lright if both circuits are good at the relay then we have a few possibilities, either a bad ground at the horns, or no power/open circuit at the switch power circuit. Since you stated that there is no power signal at the switch but have verified the relay has a good signal then I think we have a wiring issue on circuit #1, the dark blue wire that runs to the switch

There is a dark blue black wire that has some sort of a connector on it that is off. I do not know where it goes. Looks like it might connect to ignition cylinder. I’ve ordered a new switch with the 3 prongs on it. I think it’s the problem

O​kay great, it looks like you are making progress :) Give me an update once you get the switch in

Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician