Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Im getting no fire to the plug! 1996 ford ranger. Just

Customer Question
Im getting no fire...

Im getting no fire to the plug!

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

1996 ford ranger

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just changed the clutch, master and slave cylinder and it worked before those went out but its been sitting for over a year. i tried to crank it and its not getting any fire to the plugs now.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

No and no mam

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That should be it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/4/2017
Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

If you just turn the key ON, do you get a check engine light in the dash board that comes on? What size engine is in the truck as well? thank you.

the check ingine light comes on and its a 2.3 size.
i dont have 26 dollars at this time, lets just stick with chatting online please sir.

Alright, let me check the wiring diagram on this, Can you tell me if you have 12 volts at any fuel injector RED wire with the key ON?

No problem, that is an automated message, we can continue here for as long as you like. I'm going to look at the wiring diagram now.

no fire at all

You get no power at the RED fuel injector wire with the key on? your checking it with a volt meter or test light with the black lead or test light clip on negative terminal of battery correct?

unplug the injector and try it that way. with the key on you should have constant 12 volts on RED at the injector.

doing that now i will be right back sir and thank you for your patience.

Absolutely, take your time.

no fire sir

Alright, out in the under hood fuse box, do you see a relay labelled PCM? Check all your fuses out there with the key on and check both sides for power.

Could be labelled EEC relay as well.

in that diagram the PCM relay is near the top on the right, see if you can swap it with the WOT relay that is beside it, and see if it starts then.

WOT relay stands for Wide Open Throttle relay .

Were getting no fire at all. No click from either.

Are the fuses hot in the fuse box with the key on?

Check your tester directly at the battery terminals to be sure it works.

No power to fuses at all sir
We have to buy new fuses.

No, I don't think so yet. do the parking lights work?

Is the large gauge wire coming into the fuse box hot? check for power there.

Gotta get a new test light thanks for all your help. But were stuck till tomorrow now.
the parking lights are working

Alright, pull the PCM relay out, and check for power in the relay socket pins, you should have power to TWO of the pins with the relay out and the key ON, Get a volt meter or test light to check that. I think you may need another fuse box if your losing power to some fuses in there. But be sure and check your light directly at the battery first.

Thank you so very much.

Absolutely, Thank you.