Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2006 F150 with inoperable mirror adjustment, and no power…

2006 F150 with inoperable mirror...
2006 F150 with inoperable mirror adjustment, and no power pedal or seat adjustments. The mirrors will fold back/forward by pulling the switch backward/forward though. i went thru the fuse panel and checked the #3 and #109 fuses that protect those circuits; both showed good by indicating "short". i saw prior notes on pulling the driver side door jamb boot off and checking the orange/white wire, but would this also prevent the seats/pedals from adjusting? Both problems seemed to happen at the same time so i assume there is a common circuit somewhere for them? thanks for any help! scott
12/4/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So most of these share a main ground, I would first check this, it is under the left kick panel, you want to remove that panel and then isnpect the ground for any breaks in the wire, pull ground and re ground again, then try the componets. If this dosent fix it we will need to start doing some electrical testing at each circuit

I'm on it right now Shawn. back to you in a couple minutes.. ss

no worries take your time

well, strange. after i checked the fuses 3 and 109, the power pedals and memory seats are working again. still no mirror adjustment, but they do fold back still. the ground behind the kick panel is solid and i also pulled the boot off the wire bungle in the driver door jamb and the 2 orange colored wires are firm and don't pull. now where?
i can pull the switch, but figured that if the mirror fold worked, the switch worked?

so both fold but both dont have any adjustments? if you play with switch can you get any to work?

both fold great, no adjustment in either. played with the switch a number of times now and no go

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6es2yw0y7qjs3cl/page%205.docx?dl=0

Ok here are a few steps to follow, after each one it will tell you what to do after the test is complete

on it. back in a bit
i did the first test on the switch harness side and less than 10V so went to next test. the next test measures the resistance and instead of "less than 5 ohms", it shows a short to ground. the fix for that says to "repair circuit and test for proper operation", but how do i repair the circuit? i could look for the short, but where am i going to look?

it could be anywhere I would suspect in the door jam thats going to be black all the way back to the left kick panel , some wire that break will break in the sheathing, so you will have to run your thumb and pointer finger along the wire using your nail to feel for the break in the wire, its rare to happen that way but just another tip to find it

found the black wire coming from the switch and will follow it back inside the cab. back in a few

if you have a tiny tiny pin you can penetrate the wire nd test it to see if its picking up the ground, and after that just tape it back with electrical tape, I dont like doing that because it allows moisture in the wire but thats the least invasive way to check and the tape will help secure it again if you are having problems finding the break

is there a way to find the termination of the black wire on the cab side of that wire?

yes its the first pace we checked heres a location of that

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9bwrp1hrkenu304/doc3.docx?dl=0

i goofed here and didn't read the last step correctly. the ground IS good from switch to chassis. I'm going to the next step.. back to you in a bit.

ahhh ok sounds good

there IS an open between the yellow switch wire and ground, 0 resistance. it says again to repair the circuit (but have the right repair to do this time!). what's the procedure for that? where does the yellow wire from the switch terminate?

that goes to each rear view and supplies the ground signal to the left and right motors

oops I meant alternating positive and negative signal,

if that wire is good you should be able to unplug the harness and supply power and ground to red and yellow and that will work the driver side left right function, just alternate power and ground for functions

i have a 12V power supply, is that what you mean by supply power? would that be a 12V circuit?

yes like running a jumper from the battery and ground, and then using that for those 2 wires

got it, and on it..

just make sure the switch is unplugged

well, that made it operate fine Shawn. does that indicate a bad control switch?

as long as your connector pins check out its going to be the switch yes, you verified power and ground to the switch and ensured the circuit is working to the mirror so it has to be a switch or connector pin issue, I would just do a visual on the connector and make sure everything looks good no corrosion or burns, if that checks out its the switch

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving me nothing less than a 5 star rating would be appreciated very much. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
thanks so very much Shawn! great job and i appreciate the fast responses. keep up the super work! scott

Thanks for the great rating! It was great working with you and im glad we got it figured out! Happy holidays!

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician