Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Just changed radiator and thermostat and have refilled and…

Just changed radiator and...

Just changed radiator and thermostat and have refilled and let run for thirty minutes but water doesn’t seem to be circulating through system. Removed sensor at pump and pump is full. If I put thermostat in backwards would this cause not circulation

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle overheated in the past? And what about servicing? Is it up-to-date on oil changes?

Yes never overheated and still not over heating but water not circulating could thermostat not have opened yet

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2001 7.3 f250 super duty

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F-250 Super Duty yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I removed radiator replaced hoses and thermostat did not have problem before I changed all of this could I have a air lock or would thermostat placed wrong cause this

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that’s all

12/4/2017
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help,

If it is just idling then the thermostat may be closed. Do you have heat in the cabin from the heater core?

If the thermostat is backwards it will not sense the heat of the engine to open. The spring goes down towards the engine.

I have it in correct and yes I had heat in cabin but there is not water in hose after thermostat could it have not cycled yet. Maybe I too paranoid
How long would it take to open the thermostat cycle and being there is heat in cabin and it’s not hot there would be no reason to cause engine damage correct?

It could be that it has not opened. Make sure it is full, put the cap on and run it around the block a couple of times. If the radiator is full the upper hose should be also.

No reason to suspect overheating, you would know if it is hot.

If you squeez upper house i can tell there is not any water in it but I do know radiator is full when I took upper hose off fluid ran out of it so only the are between thermostat and top of radiator has no water. Maybe I didn’t run it long enough only let it rub 15 minutes or so and drove half a mile

The fluid should run down in the hose if you fill the radiator all the way up. If you only idle it you could be there a very long time, put the cap on and run it around the block then feel the upper hose to see if it is warm. Be careful of the fan!

Gotcha will do

OK, it is getting late here so I need to turn in but if you have further questions we can pick this up in the morning, if no further questions please complete the rating

Thanks

George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Cary York
Phone call session started

Guess that means it worked? Great, please let me know if you have questions in the future.

just didn’t wait long enough for it to cycle. Just got to excited. 195 degrees takes longer to achieve I guess to make cycle

There is not a lot of heat produced at idle, most goes out the exhaust. Glad you got it sorted,please let me know if you have questions in the future. Thanks

George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician