Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2000 ford 7.3L powerstroke diesel. Runs but not well. It…

2000 ford 7.3L powerstroke diesel...
2000 ford 7.3L powerstroke diesel. Runs but not well. It feels like it is in "limp mode" although I don't think this model has a true "limp mode"..as far as I can tell.I can accelerate but the truck has no power, it will barely move if there is any grade/slope at all. it will shift through 1/2/3 gears in drive (automatic) and get up to about 35mph max on level roads. In neutral the rpms will slowly raise all the way if I put my foot on the pedal, but in gear the rpms won't seem to raise above 2000-2500 or so. There is white smoke though not a significant amount.No check engine light and no (current) error codes with bluetooth obd scan tool.Looking for expert who is familiar with these older 7.3L engines, and troubleshooting electrical/sensor issues etc.I suspect possible injector issue or wiring harness issue, but want help ruling out other issues (sensors, blown headgasket, low compression, turbo/boost issues before pulling apart the valve covers. I haven't owned truck long. The previous owner recently replaced all injectors although I do not know about the wiring harnesses, or the quality of the injectors he used.So far I have:
-replaced fuel filters, bled lines, ran truck for awhile
-checked fuel pressure at both ports pre/post fuel filter = good fuel pressure.
-checked oil pressure with manual gauge = ok
-checked hpop (high pressure oil pump) oil reservoir = level good, no junk or clumps
-replaced ICP sensor with a good quality oem part. Replaced/spliced new connector.
-checked & cleared codes. Previously the only code showing up (intermittently/occasionally was p1280). Have not seen it since ICP sensor replaced. Icp sensor had some minor amount of possible oil leakage on through the wiring connector.
-performed injector buzz test with cargauge pro app (bluetooth code reader) and all injectors buzzed normally and evenly.
-inspected intake/turbo piping for leaks
-cleaned top of engine to check for oil leaks, etc.Please advise on specific troubleshooting steps to follow next.I want to check the sensors like the crank position sensor, etc, or any other related sensors that could cause something like this. I want to check the fuel delivery side of the injectors. I want to test electrical connections and harnesses, especially the ones on top of and under the valve cover. I want to confirm that the turbo / boost system is functioning correctlyI do not believe I have access to a way to do a cylinder contribution test, but I have a volt/ohm meter, and most normal mechanic tools. I don't have a manual but could order one. I have lots of experience working on older diesel vehicles but stumped with this one.Thank you very much for any specific steps or assistance.
12/4/2017
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Does it start and idle fine?

What is the ICP pressure and IRP % at wide open throttle WOT?

Any concerns with boost pressure?

It takes a little extra cranking to start, maybe 10 seconds. And a little slow to "catch" while cranking, have to keep holding the key in start position for an extra half second to 1 second to keep it running, or it might die.Once running though it seems to idle pretty well, maybe not perfect but not easy to describe. Just a little rough, possibly.I last checked ICP pressure, around 500 at idle and 2400-2800 at wot, but the wot value would fluctuate a lot. I will test again and post back as that was before the new icp. I have not checked ipr %, going to read up on that now and will post results asap.I don't have a manual boost a gauge, and no reliable previous info (truck came to me not running). I am using the torque pro app and car gauge pro app, will try to get a vacuum / boos reading, and intake manifold pressure reading from one of those apps. Will post that.But if you are able to describe in slightly more detail what I might be looking for regarding boost issue/s, and etc, I would greatly appreciate it.Thank you for your help
Some data, more details at end as there was a significant change in behavior, more white smoke, both at idle & wot, and new intake area oil leak (looks like between ccv and valve cover) after running it hard for about 15-20 minutes to get these values at wot w/engine warm. Engine does have some blowby when oil cap off but not enough to push the oil cap off when set on looselyFuel pump duty cycle 101%
Injector pressure 608 psi idle 1800-2200 psi average, upto 2400max at wot, one time also reading in the 3200 range wot (this was right after truck first started up). fluctuating a lot above idle.Inj pressure duty 30% idle 30-50% wotInj presdure volts .85 idle 1.8-2 wotManifold absolute pressure 14.7 psi idle 16.8-18psi wotTurbo wastegate 25-35% idle 80- 99% wotDid a cyl contribution test which showed p0266 cyl 2 error code (engine warm) but the app didn't provide more data.After the behavior change was noticed (after a few wot runs in park) now it is a lot harder to start (upto 20 seconds cranking) and low idle rpms, sometimes dies/ stumbles at idle after foot is taken off accelerator pedal. Also more white smoke than before, andidle speed closer to 500rpm previously was around 800-900.Thanks again
How can I check the headgasket? (as a "shade tree"/backyard mechanic)
Also p1211 at some point?How would i go sbout testing the regulator under the fuel filter area and the wiring connector/ harness going to it?

The head gaskets can be checked through a scan tool running a relative compression test or by using a manual gauge through the glow plug holes.

The numbers you posted look to be within order except for the part where you said things were going up and down. On the long crank is the ICP struggling to get to the minimum 500 psi? Is the valley oil leak at the HPOP, if so there are updated plugs for it. Here are the steps for the ICP controllability code https://www.dropbox.com/s/oruovynx0q44c09/ke15.pdf?dl=0

I believe the focus is on the IPR, HPOP, or the injectors and O-rings in this case.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

I have gone through the steps you posted (not conclusive).I would like to know how to test the ipr directly?I have run a warm "relative compression test" (cyl contribution test) which showed cyl 7 error code. I would like to know if there is any way to narrow down injector issue VS compression/head gasket/worn rings?i do have diesel compression tester but on past vehicle was unable to fit it to the rear cylinders (cyl 7, rear pass side is the one showing posdible issues). So id like to do everything else before pulling valve cover/s.THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP. WILL RATE SOON POSITIVE FEEDBACK AS I BELIEVE WE ARE CLOSE. BUT NEED HELP WALKING THROUGH THE LAST COUPLE OF STEPS WOTHOUT DOING UNNECESSARY WORK OR BLINDLY SWAPPING PARTS.
no hpop oil leak, i degreased / pressure washed the engine and used clean rags to determine minor oil leak is either between ccv & valve cover or possibly somewhere else in the turbo/pedistal/ intake area.

If you got low compression on a cylinder the only external test you can do is remove the injector to check the copper washer at its base. If that is fine then you have to remove the head to see why the compression is low.

Here are some more tests.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ado9toczka4ddd0/performanceissues.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/746bcqoutof4aiw/IPRtest.pdf?dl=0

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

can you tell how ti test the ipr physically & electrically? the dropbox link you posted doesn't help

You can remove it and apply power and ground and watch it move.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician