Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Where is the fuel pump driver module on a 2004 f250 with the…

Customer Question
Where is the fuel...

Where is the fuel pump driver module on a 2004 f250 with the 5.4 Triton

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to help find that for your Ford F250. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

I don't think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
12/3/2017
Ford Mechanic: Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician replied 4 months ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician

Hello, a fuel pump driver module not used in 2004 on the 5.4, May I ask what you are chasing and why? thanks

The truck stalls while driving. I've replaced pump, mass flow sensor, fuel filter and air filter it ran fine for a month and stalled yesterday and won't restart. I replaced a relay under the hood today and still no luck. I get no sound from the pump when I turn ignition on. Fuel shutoff rattles and activated when I took it off. I think I'm out of things to replace.
I read better than I hear. E mail works great!

JA does that. not me, keep in the post. back shortly

Are you sure it is only fuel delivery problem? have you tried spraying carb cleaner in intake? have you pushed fuelpump pressure pintle to see if no fuel?

I have some cleaner I will try it. Pressure pintle ? Is that the Schraeder valve on the fuel rails?

yes

No fuel in pintle Truck starts while I sprayed cleaner but stalls as soon as I stop

need to get to the inertia switch and test for power in/and out when CRANKING engine. You do know you ONLY have fuel pressure when cranking NOT just key on. Inertia swithc over on passenger side kick panel

Thanks I'll check

ok. lmk

Still no fuel in pintle. 6-8 volts on inertia switch when cranking

too low. in and out needs to be 12 volts or battery voltage. remove your fuel pump relay. turn key ON. and trest the relay terminals the realy plugs into. I need the volts on all of them

Randall I'm guessing that you need readings on all three of the slots next to the two large slots in the relay board. I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing here. I have to get dinner going and likely done working on this truck tonight. If you could explain the process some I will get you the numbers tomorrow. It looks like I may have to sign up for some additional consultation. Thanks for your help, Kevin

no need to sign for anything, I am here to help in this post,. I will be on/off all day tomorrow. I am asking for you to just take out eh fuel pump relay. Turn key ON> use your meter and probe each terminal in the fuse box wher relay plugs in. I only need to know how many have 12 volts relay OUT, key ON

Thanks, Randall Enjoy your night

do the same:)

Been busy with work, hopefully I can get back to you tonight.

ok

Hi Randall, I finally tested the relay. I grounded one lead and tested the pin holes with the other. The key was on. All of the slots reported 0 volts except the number 3 which was 12 volts. I retested the inertia switch and it read 7-8 volts while cranking the engine. I'm not very familiar with this type of testing, hope I did it right.

Hello, I received your reply. I need to step out for 1/2 hour etc then when I return I will repull diagrams and see what we can do. bear with me, thanks

GREAT THANKS

I forgot, sorry, I will work on this shortly

Need to hold key to CRANK let engine crank while doing same test, How many have 12 volts? will take 2 people I suppose

Thanks. I will get it later tonight when my wife gets home. She loves helping me on my trucks. lol

ok

meantime. do you know if the check engine light comes on with key ON only?

I finally did it. The relay tested with the engine cranking reads like this 1- 0.07 volts 3 - 9 or10 volts the other slots read zero. slot 4 appears not to have contacts in it. The service engine soon light comes on with the key turned on as well as the check gauge light. I should tell you that the truck had a new engine installed by Fuller Ford of Cincinnati 40,000 miles ago. I hope the wire harness doesn't have issues. I am unable to pull any codes off of the truck.

we will be on the road till aroun 5 pm +/- this evening Eastern time.One I get computer on? I will relook at diagrams this evening and get back with you,. Sry, bear with me

I know it's the holiday weekend Randall. I hope you and yours have a great new year. I'm just sending this to remind you of my last mail. I don't expect an answer until after Christmas, but oddly enough Christmas day may be the one day I can work on my truck. Thanks, ***** *****
Ford Mechanic: Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician replied 3 months ago

i should be working a little bit online today, We have been traveling and internet was sketchy. I will review everyhting to refresh my memory and should be back to this today. Merry Xmas

can you take a picture of the relay installed in the box and send to this post? will explain later

Hi Randall, Any luck with the fuel pump pics I sent?

I did not, probably because the post timed out. It is reopen now, I need to see the side of the relay showing the pin numbers

no no, the side of the relay it should have a diagram, internal wiring diagram

ok, I am a little bit confused, the more I reseacrh the more I find the relay is built into the CJB. how did you locate this relay as the fuel pump relay? can you send you VIN#

VIN# ***** I searched the relay location and found a pic of this assembly and it matched the part I bought at Advanced Auto
Randall, I prefer the e-mail method we are using because of how slowly I can address this problem. That being said I understand you only have so much time to spend on one project. I will gladly pay once again to continue this thread if you feel this is something we will be able to solve this way. I am not a mechanic. I am a sole proprietor trying not to spend $1000 on this old landscape truck. Let me know what we can do. Thanks, Kevin
Any luck on the relay? I am willing to pay again if you think we can find the problem. I have the feeling your system is cutting me out. Let me know what you want to do. I really don't want to tow this truck to a repair shop. Thanks, Kevin
Randall, We still working together?
Ron, ASE Certified Technician