Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The transfer case on my 2011 f150 is engaging (spinning)

Customer Question
The transfer case on...

The transfer case on my 2011 f150 is engaging (spinning) when in 2wd. has nothing to do with the front axle as I have the front driveshaft out and used a gopro to video the transfer case as I was driving. the front differential yoke has not moved. would like to know what is causing this. as this is the 4th new transfer case that has been put in

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have taken it the ford dealership about 6 times. they are the ones that have installed the transfer cases. The last they told me when I took it in for jerking & vibrating is that it is my suspension causing the iwes to bind and engage the driveshaft. However, I believed that to be bs and confirmed by the video I was able to get today.

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?

The ride is like a dump truck sometimes. It bounces & jerks like something is resisting, my gas mileage is horrible, and it seems labored. No fluids, other than my rear pinion seal started leaking recently and I believe that actually might be contributed to the violent vibrations and jerking that is going on in the driveline right now. The transfer case almost brand new. It has only been in there for about 3 months

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Its a 2011 f150 ecoboost. I'm an experienced mechanic that just doesn't work in that field anymore, so I'm pretty proficient & I am at a loss on this one. I'm tired of the dealership telling me there is nothing wrong. They have not seen the video yet, proving them wrong, as I just took it today...

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
12/3/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 7 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

If you use a rope and tie the transfer case front output yoke to the frame then drive in 2wd, does the rope break? I understand you will have to try this. I am wanting to see if the transfer case is truly sending full power to the front driveline. Use a rope similar to a shoelace type strength.

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris