Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

O4 explorer won't start.replaced starter battery and igi…

O4 explorer won't start.replaced...

O4 explorer won't start.replaced starter battery and igi switch and relay.lights come on when turn key on but doesn't do anything if you turn key all the way

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Yeah there fine.shut it off one night and wouldn't do anything

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Explorer?

04

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yeah i replaced starter battery igi switch and relay

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I need help can't figure it out

12/2/2017
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today. I am reviewing the details now.

What size engine do you have?

V6 4.0

Thank you for that information.

Have you checked for codes in the computer?

Are there any anti theft or security lights on or flashing on the cluster with the key on or when trying to start the engine?

I checked for codes and it didn't show any.also no lights out of place.nothing getting to starter when I turn key on

Does the starter relay click with the key in the crank position?

No

Ok, I would recommend checking the inputs to the starter relay with the key in the crank position. It needs two powers and one ground in order to activate. When this happens, the contacts inside will close and send power out the fourth wire down to the starter. There should be constant power, ignition switched power (only with the key in the crank position) and then the ground that comes from the PCM.

If your missing the power supplies, we need to check the power circuits. If your missing the ground from the PCM, then we need to go after the PCM and wiring (in and out of the PCM).

Keep in mind this is a "starting point". My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

I'm not with the truck. It's broke down 30 miles from home. I'll Let you know tomorrow

Sounds good!

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or offline spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great night!!

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN