Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

How do you remove and replace cruise control buttons on 2005…

Customer Question
Hello how do you...

Hello how do you remove and replace cruise control buttons on 2005 excursion with leather steering wheel, have removed airbag and pulled wheel but don't see how to replace button module. after studying the new part should mount from the back but don't see how?

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Ford Excursion. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Hello how do you remove and replace cruise control buttons on 2005 excursion with leather wheel, have removed air bag and pulled wheel but cant see how to install, new part shows should mount from back?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
12/2/2017
Ford Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 7 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, it is held in by 4 retaining clips. You should see them around the edges. use a pick tool or very thin and small screwdriver to release the clips and pull the switch out of the steering wheel

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

this is a leather wrapped wheel from factory 2005 excursion with the buttons flush with leather cant even get pick or small screw driver in and around with out damaging the leather. If you look at the new replacement part it has flange or wider back lip as to work as stop for it to be removed from front as you suggest doesn't make sense to me. So your saying to just pry it out from the front? I tried that briefly before I pulled air bag and then the wheel?
You can not see any clips the module is counter sunk and flush with leather. Your saying to just pry it out ?

I havent done a leather wrap steering wheel, but should be the same. The clips are on the opposite side as the steering wheel ring. They are on the side the airbag touches

I will opt out and see if another expert has done the leather wrapped steering wheel before

Your describing a ford F150 or expedition steering wheel where the buttons are on the sides of the air bag mine is again counter sunk with no access. Suggestion look up the part online and look at it you will more understand what I'm saying, 2005 excursion limited thx
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 7 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Let me see if I can help. Here I have uploaded a link to the steps outlined in the Ford manual. https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ai8dt1t4xzrxkf/05excursion.png?dl=0

Are you saying yours are different? Is it possible this is not the OEM steering wheel for your vehicle?

Do yours look like this https://www.dropbox.com/s/zrslfc7eo2b02zp/exc.png?dl=0

Here is another Ford step view https://www.dropbox.com/s/40s2qjufh0let1l/exc05.png?dl=0

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

firstly yes is factory wheel like the one in link I'm the original owner, I will go back to my shop and look at wheel again but I did not see any clips....in fact there is only a small hole on back side that I don't think you could pull the female side of the electrical connector through. These instructions are vague at best but I will study part again and let you know.. One thing for sure it doesn't mention prying it out with a pic as Eric suggested. Also there is heavy rubber molded to metal frame of wheel precluding access to back of the button pod I even tried to pull leather away some to see if access was hidden but no?

You should not have to move the leather out of the way. I do agree the directions from Ford are not that great like they are on other tasks.