Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Its a 2004 f350 superduty 6.0 powerstroke, and there is no…

Customer Question
Its a 2004 f350...

Its a 2004 f350 superduty 6.0 powerstroke, and there is no current to the glow plugs or the fuel pump, and no comuncation to check the engine codes

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

There is no comunication with code reader, i have one and it didnt work

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll pass this info along to the Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, replacing the PCM, checked the relays, fuses, glow plugs relay, replace the whole fuse box

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That when we ground connection on the back of the fuse box it starts the fuel pump, on the back of the fuse box its pin 39

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
12/2/2017
Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 4 months ago
Cesar Jimenez

hi im cesar jimenez and i will be helping you today. im reviewing your question now....check all chassis and frame and engine grounds i suspect missing ground or corroded groung somehwere

i checked all the ground wires and they all work, do you know which is the ground wire for the PCM. Also do you speak Spanish? it still doesnt start, i checked the grounds on the FICAM, and in the chasis, in the drivers side 3 or 4 in the cabin, and they were all working.
Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 4 months ago

si hablo espanol

voy a rebicar los grounds de la computadora

Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 4 months ago

there is a ground under the FICM check it

Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 4 months ago

hi just checking up on you. hope you were successful in your repair. please rate me on my services. thank you and happy holidays

Sir I checked and it had ground and it still has not ran
Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 4 months ago
I’m goin to transfer you to another tech that has more info than me so I’m goin to op out thank you
Ford Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If the PCM has been replaced with a known good part but will not communicate then it's either missing a power or ground. It's possible that you got a bad replacement depending on where it came from.

Were the powers and grounds load tested at the PCM connector?

its an oem part and i tested it on another powerstroke and it still worked, the way things happened now that is that i left the key on the on position and forgot about it and the battery died, some one said i might have burnt a sensor for the cam/crank shaft. Is that a possibility?

If the PCM doesn't operate it's due to an internal failure or a loss of power or ground to it.

Well sir its grounded but do you have a map to see what cables and connections i need to check to see for either ground or connection and i wont be able to respond till yesterday

How were the powers and grounds tested?

With a light probe, and well everything i checked was grounded, i removed the ground screws and tried and replaced them

An incandescent test light?

What specific wires were tested for power and ground?

I could not tell you and it's night over here do you mind if I get you that info tommorow

Yes, that would be fine.

The ground under the FICM, the 4 inside of the cabin, the one on the fender near the PCM, on near the light on the drivers side and they are all grounded, and all of the fuse and relays, I thought it was the fuse box and I replaced it but the problems continued, the relays work but the current does not get to the fuel pump or the PCM.

The wires you tested at the PCM connector is what we were concerned with.

I have no idea, I couldn't find a pin map or anything soon don't know which pins or cables to check, and if you know what pins to check I'll be able to check tommorow
The connection to the PCM look very good and I can see that the wires are ok and everything

You previously said you had tested the powers and grounds at the PCM and they were present.

My service information is temporarily down and I will post what terminals you're concerned with as soon as possible.

I checked all the grounds but I don't know the pins or power or ground on the PCM and please update me with that info when ever you can

I'll get back to you as soon as I am able.

Okay

The black/white wire in pin 11 and 23 is ground.

The red wire in pin 34 and 46 is battery voltage.

I checked them and they all work, could it have something to do with the FICM

Is the PCM the only module that doesn't communicate?

but the PCM is new and I've tried some from other trucks and it still didn't have connection

How did you test the powers and grounds?

I found the problem it was the ICP sensor.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Okay tanks

You're welcome!

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician