Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1986 f150 302 with fuel injection. I have a break…

Customer Question
I have a 1986...

I have a 1986 f150 302 with fuel injection. I have a break out box on the computer circuit. My paperwork says that on pin 16 the spout circuit you should have 60-70hz. I have 412hz. All grounds have less than .05 volts when checked at battery ground. I am not sure where the increase in hz. is coming from. Changed distributor not the problem. Pin 16 is a input on the computer. Any ideas.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

No sir battery in real good shape. No sulfur smell.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

The original problem when I got the truck. It would start with starter fluid and would run good. It will continue to crank the rest of the day. Let it sit all night and will not crank the next morning. Yes I am working on the truck myself. I have replaced throttle body sensor, injectors, built a injector harness, knock sensor and the atmospheric calibration sensor for ambient temp. and a new distributor with ignition module.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's about it. I am retired and this my project for staying out of wives way.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Ford
12/2/2017
Ford Mechanic: roy, import/domestic specialest replied 9 months ago
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok, when it wont start, did you check for spark???

did you verify fuel pressure??? low fuel pressure will cause a crank/no start but if it runs it will stay running

Roy

Go for it.

it should have 35-45 lbs fuel pressure

40 psi with key on. New coil and distributor. The high hertz from the ignition module is what has me confused. I have spark and correct fuel pressure. When I get it to crank with starting fluid I have a black soot coming from tail pipe, Like it is flooded.

ok, you have 2 out of 3 things needed to run

timing is next. do you have a timing light to verify timing while cranking???

also, have you checked compression???

Roy

Have not checked compression . Set timing yesterday the timing light after changing distributor. 10 degrees BTDC

ok, good. concerned about timing chain.

If the timing chain has moved then why does it run so good after you crank it. No backfire or lose of power. I replaced the computer and the high pressure fuel pump I fell to mention. Like I say this is a retirement project to keep me out of trouble with wife. Been working on it about a month, now I am determined to fix it.
Roy how could the compression affect it cranking with EFI?

ok, I was under the assumption it does not run. I saw where you said when you first got it, did not see that it runs now, sorry.

have you had the coil tested?? weak spark will do this as well.

what is the voltage on pin 16???

Roy

I broke the coil wire off the coil. That was one of the first things I replaced. Pin 16 is the 5 volt ground going to ignition module. This is really a strange problem I have. Not a mechanic but a 40 year electrician and I understand DC volts. I understand that the ignition module fires the engine on starting and the computer takes over after receiving the ignition spark from the ignition module and I just replaced the distributor with a new ignition module.
This truck is original with same motor and transmission from factory. I bought it from a 73 year old neighbor. If you would like some time to ponder over this that is fine. You have my number and you can get back with me. I appreciate your input so far. This thing must be possessed and an exorcism might be next.

the dark green yellow is the ground for the module. if you use your test light and hit the negative side of the coil, the light should flash. that is the command for the module to fire the coil. that signal is based on the distributor pick up coil in the distributor itself.

the spout is sending a signal to the ecm from the module.

Roy