Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2003 ford f150 brake pedal has pedal fade. new master…

Customer Question
My 2003 ford f150...

My 2003 ford f150 brake pedal has pedal fade. new master cylinder, pads, not sure what should be next

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, replaced the master cylinder, brake pads, bled the system, also replaced the abs hcu solenoid, but not the hydraulic piece.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the rotors? How many miles are on the car?

218000 miles, but it's not the rotors

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I've had 2 different mechanics and the local dealer check it out with no success

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Ford
12/2/2017
Ford Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 9 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

are the replacement parts OME or after market? Did you replace the calipers as well with the new pads

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

ok
The dealer replaced the rear passenger side caliper, but that's the only one. F150 Forum suggest the ABS HCU needs to be replaced. That is really expensive when I'm not sure it will fix my problem.
Replacement parts are not OEM, but the master cylinder has been replaced multiple times

The ABS does not come into play until it is activated ,until then the brakes work normally without any interfere with that system. What I am suspecting is the calipers are not fully returning to the proper position after release, this is why with vehicle's with higher mileage we recommend to replace them with new pads because what happens when the pads go down they draw the piston out and that area of the piston has varnish on it dragging on the piston . Even though they may be able to push the piston back in it does not function properly . If you wish a more detailed explanation I can offer a service to do so.