Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

When I first start the engine and start driving the engine…

Customer Question
When I first start...

When I first start the engine and start driving the engine comes up to temp and then shortly after reaching that temp will start overheating. I turn on heater in the cab which will bring engine temp back down to normal operating temp. I turn heater off and then engine runs fine after that.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

There is probably a small leak somewhere as I ad fluid from time to time.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Cab?

2000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cab yourself? What have you tried so far?

Ranger

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that's it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
12/2/2017
Ford Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

ok, engine sounds normal. what is question?

Do you have any test equipment to check cooling system pressure or for block testing? I an send you pics and procedures in testing your cooling system in order to find your problem id you wish

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

I'm just curious where you would look first for the possible problem. is it typical of a thermostat to stick the first time the engine gets warm and then be fine after that?

To begin with there are some things you can check yourself very reasonably to take any guess work out of this. For instant use a thermostat to see what temp it is going to when sitting and watch it if it goes up to a point and drop and go back up to the same point , that shows the thermostat is working. The other things require testers which you can either buy, borrow or rent. These will defiantly show you where the problem is. Would you be interested in discussing this with one of our services?

I'm sorry I ment a thermometer.

thermometer is placed on which part?

In the coolant , remove the rad cap and place in there.

ok, thanks.
just so ya know the system won't let me click on the stars... only the submit button.

over heating in your case can be caused by a few things, head gasket leaking, leaks and rad cap not holding proper pressure. So you see the need for some test equipment. I will send you some pics and links showing you procedures using these testers

You can now rate my service and or ask any more questions if you wish