Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have had an engine knock in the lower part of my engine

Customer Question
for last couple month, after...
I have had an engine knock in the lower part of my engine for last couple month, after running on low oil. after replacing oil knock got better, but has come back and seems to increasingly get worse. When I rev the engine over 2000-2500 rpm the engine knock gets more noticeable.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
12/1/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 1 month ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Is the engine misfiring or is the check engine light on at this time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, engine runs fine, it just sounds terrible under strain. The check engine light has never come on.

Ok

Usually a knocking is an indication of a connecting rod with to much play. This isn't really uncommon after it's been run low on oil. What happens is the bearing material around the crank or the crank is damaged. This allows for some movement that shouldn't be there which in turn causes the knocking because the rod is hitting on the cylinder wall. The oil pan will have to be dropped and measurements taken to determine which one is causing the noise and if it can be repaired by simply replacing the bearing.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What tools are needed to check which rod is damaged? How can I find out if my crankshaft is damaged? how difficult is it to replace a rod bearing on your own?

Generally you will need to use feeler gauges to see how much play there is in between the connecting rod and it's journal. Side to side clearance is the indication which rod is causing the noise. There is a limit to how far they can move. Then you would remove the bearing cap and the bearing which stays on the cap most of the time to inspect the crank for any damage. If it's scored, then the crank would have to be replaced. If it's not, then the bearing would have to be replaced. You have to use plastigauge to see what size bearing would go there. Most of the time its going to require an oversized bearing to make up for the difference.

If this is something you have never done, this isn't really a beginners job to be honest. Taking the oil pan off to get to the bearings will prove pretty difficult to begin with.

If it is something you are going to attempt, I am going to suggest a subscription to alldata DIY. This will have the tolerances for the measurements, it will also include the torque specs and sequences. Plus removal instructions for the pan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Although this is a task I haven't completed before I will be working with guys who have done similar tasks and I have had to replace my oil pan before. If there haven't been metal shavings in my oil while replacing the oil, is it most likely just the bearing around the rod and not the crank?

Sorry to say there isn't really any way to know without looking. The oil filter would take out the metal filings. They are very small. Tolerances are usually in the .000 range. So close it doesn't take much to take them out. Of course if the crank is scored it becomes a much bigger job.

Glad you have some experienced people to help you out with it!

Also, kindly remember to rate my answer.
Thank you so much!!

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician