Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1998 F-150 4.6L OIL IN EXHAUST MANIFOLD**** i've had and…

1998 F-150 4.6L OIL IN...
1998 F-150 4.6L OIL IN EXHAUST MANIFOLD****
i've had and exhaust leak for a while now. like a slight ticking noise coming from the passenger side. It got really bad today. ive taking the tire and shroud off to get a better look at it. i also notice a small pool of motor oil. my truck has always leaked a drop here and there but nothing like this. i can also see that the exauhst leak is coming from the #1 and maybe #2 cylinder. i know oil coming out of the exaust manifold can't be a good thing. im gonna start taking the manifold off now. what should my next step be to best find the root of the problem? compression test? no sign of oil in my coolant and no sign of coolant in my oil. should i pull the valve cover next?
12/1/2017
Fix It Man
Fix It Man, Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** there is not an oil leak coming from the valve cover that an be allowing oil into the exhaust then you have a bad exhaust valve stem seal. This is very common. It allows oil to run down the valve and get into the exhaust system. The cylinder heads would need to be removed and be rebuild in order to keep if from continuing. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more help.

i was affraid of that. so i should probably stop driving it, right? i'd only have to take that one head off, right? could it be a bad piston ring aswell or are you certain its a valve stem?

If the engine is running fine it is typically the valve stem seal. In most cases you can continue to drive it like that for some time as long as there is not much smoke from the exhaust. Once it starts smoking a lot then you should stop driving it.

can the cat converter get damaged from the oil? also would it be worth it to through a new exaust manifold gasket on to stop the wxhaust leak at least?

It definitely would be as that would help in the meantime. As for the converter, it usually gets hot enough to burn off any oil.

The first bolt I went to take off broke inside the head: (
Not good. Typically you can remove the fender well and gain enough access to extract it.
Fix It Man
Fix It Man, Master Technician
Fix It Man
Fix It Man
Fix It Man, Master Technician