Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Matt, I saw a thread here about you're able to replace a…

Customer Question
Hey Matt, I saw a...
Hey Matt, I saw a thread here about you're able to replace a broken band without pulling the transmission. I'm wondering if that possible on an 03 Explorer 4.0 4x4 5r55s with a broken intermediate band. It snapped where the anchor pushes the lip of the band. That little lip is what is broken. I suspect from over torque. I bought this explorer very cheap from a friend who attempted to adjust the bands himself. Its in great shape and runs awesome. Just need to get this band repaired.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
I guess Matt is no longer with justanswer. Hopefully you can answer my question. I'm an indy tech but I have yet to master the ways of transmission work. -__-
11/30/2017
Ford Mechanic: Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech replied 6 months ago
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

On this model it is not possible. There are few front wheel drives where you can pull the pump and replace the band in vehicle, but not on this model. The trans will need to be removed and disassembled down to the band.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Did you need any further assistance? The question is showing "waiting for customer response"