Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I bought an 2013 Ford Fusion 1.6 ecoboost from a used car…

Customer Question
Hi I bought an 2013...
Hi I bought an 2013 Ford Fusion 1.6 ecoboost from a used car dealer yesterday. Yes you read that right, yesterday... well i went to start it this morning and it would not start. It will turn over, but will not fire. It also sounds like there is no compression. It’s throwing me for a loop. Please help.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
11/30/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So this was a as is deal? Also what have you checked so far?

I’m pretty mechanically inclined. I’ve rebuilt engines both carburetor and fuel injected. I just ran out of time this morning, and I’m hoping you can speed this process up.Car ran fine last night. Drove it roughly 50 miles home. Made several stops and it started no problem each time. Went to start it this morning and no fire. I have it at a friends mechanic shop who says it sounds like there is no compression. It does seem to turn over slightly slower than videos I saw online. I don’t know if there is a certain rpm it has to hit before it will let it fire off.What I have checked:1. Battery checks out fine
2. I can hear the fuel pump prime.
3. There is fuel reaching the engine, but pressure unknown.
4. No noticeably loose wires.

Is there a check engine light on?

Do you know if its security mode?

I don’t know what the code is, but I will have that for you within 30 minutes. I’m not sure if it’s in security mode. If you go through the the my vehicle function all it says is check manual.

I would also see if you can peel back the timing cover enough to see if the belt is moving,

if thats ok then do the regular steps, check fire and fuel, make sure pressure is good and the injectors are firing

The ecoboost is an engine that can confuse me at times. Is there anything with the turbo or an electronic valve that could be stuck open keeping it from having compression? It’s not known that it doesn’t have compression, it just sounds like it. Are there any known issues with this engine that cause this type of problem?I’ll check the belt
How would I know if it’s in security mode?

There would me a message saying no key found, or a blinking red light, and you want to make sure the turbo spool is moving when cranking, and before cranking make sure it feels good as in the bearings in it are ok and it turns easily

Since the fuel pressure is read through the computer, my buddy is going to check the fuel pressure using his snap on scanner. What is the minimum fuel pressure?

I wouldnt trust that but your looking at 55 min 72 max

The code was for misfire detected in start up. Cam is spinning

so the belt is broken?

No belt isn’t broken

just a random p0300?

Came on this morning when it didn’t start. Did not have it last night

is that the only code the p0300

That and the over crank code where it protects the starter. Only two codes

whats the other code number

ok have you checked fuel pressure yet with a gauge ? and also check spark?

About to do that. I’ll post once I have the answer. Is anything jumping out at you yet? We are thinking it may have jumped time.
The guy who had it before said it had a hard start for him one time where it slowly fired up.

I ould think if it jumped time you would have a cam or crank code

No compression

oh something is not working in the timing system ,looks like your going to have to pull the timing cover and inspect

Have spark
Doing that in the morning. Are these interference engines? Do I need to worry about valves?

hows it coming?

2 bent valves. Still investigating
Can’t figure out how they got bent with it being a non Interference engine.

that is strange, may have been a piece of something from the engine itself or some debris the air filter missed

hows it coming?

Ford Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. I would like to receive nothing less than a 5 star rating. If you feel we aren’t there yet please let me know or respond more so we can get the answer you feel is correct. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!