Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 302 crate with Al. heads and the 2' valves, a

Customer Question
I have a 302...

I have a 302 crate with Al. heads and the 2' valves, a mid-perfor. cam and a Millen HV pump. From delivery ( never run ) thru. start-up it ran and sounded great. Readdjusted the valves as the builder suggested after 500 miles and it was good. It was tricky job to get the timing right and as I was adj. the dist. I started to hear a noise from the dr. si. front bank, no. 5 cyl. and timing cov.& waterpump area. AS I was look at the mech. oil gauge all of a sudden the press was 0, and the oil light went on. I suspected everything at this point. The valves the oil pump, the timing chain take-up etc.. I have pulled the intake

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?

No. It has only appr.600 miles. I have run the pump with a mde driveshaft and it produced 50 lbs on my mech. gage. The wes turned over with the heads off. The nois was stll there. A slapping noise appeared after the pressure was noticed.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your 600?

It is a crate 302 in a '64 Fairlane. The year of the block could be from an early 302.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 600 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I do not know what you mean by 600! It has 600 miles on the engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Does the 289/302 Fords ahve problems with the Timing Chain Take-up on the slack sid of the chain. How is this part oiled?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
12/1/2017
Ford Mechanic: Dan, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you. I am reviewing your question now, and will reply shortly.

Are you sure you do not have excessive clearance in the block? Spun rod or main bearing? Piston wrist pin?