Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a Check Brake System fault with the ABS, Brake &

I have a Check...

I have a Check Brake System fault with the ABS, Brake & Anti-Skid indicators on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? And have the brakes been squeaking?

Checked fluid, it's fine. No brake squeaking

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2010 F150 4.6L Crew Cab

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I plan to fix myself, haven't tried anything yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Have a weird rubbing noise when turning right regardless of speed.

11/30/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Have you had the codes checked on it yet?

No

Ok that would be a good first step do you have access to a scanner?

I do, but not for a day or two. From the little trolling around, I think it may be a speed sensor issue. The truck is about to turn over 200K miles. Tires & Brakes are good. Just looking for a little more educated idea.

So until you get the scanner I would just do a visual on all 4 wheels and check each sensor out and wheel bearings, also would jack the vehicle up on the suspension and if its 4wd you can put it on 4 hi and have someone turn the wheel so you can pinpoint the noise, if 2wd just lock out the wheel and spin tires by hand and check that way, you may also have to jounce the vehicle while tires are spinning,

Okay, I can work on that. I thought wheel bearings were good, but I'll check them again to be sure.

yeah often times the wire get hit by road debris and other things that may nick or cut the wire and sometimes its super obvious, If nothing found at the wires visually I would follow them up to the connector and check those as they are exposed to the elements and get corroded

Okay, and you're thinking the vibration is more than likely a wheel bearing or in the drive train? I'm interpreting that the two issues are not related from your questions.

Oh I didnt read anything about a vibration must not have come though, at what speeds does the vibration occur and where do you feel it in the? vehicle, seat, wheel, floor board?

Well, it's not really a feel it's more of a sound. It's more prominent at higher speeds but I can hear it almost at any speed. I don't know that I feel it anywhere.

does increase with speed ? does it happen if your not moving?

it increases with speed. No it does not seem to happen while moving.

that could also be a wheel bearing and your tires could also cause that, under body and wheel well plastics will do that as well as wind speed increases, you may want to rotate front to back to see if it changes, that would rule out your tires. Just some things to check

Okay, maybe it's the wheel bearing then. I did the tire rotation and it didn't change anything. Plastic seems secure. Thanks for that.

sure thing! ill be around in a few days when you get those codes, or if you find something sooner .

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving me nothing less than a 5 star rating would be appreciated very much. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician