Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I bought my 1996 new and I live in Florida, I went to NC in…

Customer Question
I bought my 1996...

I bought my 1996 new and I live in Florida, I went to NC in the winter a few years later for Thanksgiving and it was cold and for the few days there for the first few minutes after starting diesel ran out on the ground after filling the void under the fuel filter area. I returned to Fl. and the problem stopped. The next year the same thing happened, when I went to the same location and it was not cold it did not happen. Present day after happening for years off and on and replacing the fuel pump per Fords recommendation it now seams to leak all the time but mostly or only for a few minutes after starting. The leak seams severe but I still average about 17 per gallon so I believe it only leaks for a few minutes

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you actually see the leak?

I see the diesel dripping under the truck

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '96 Ford?

F2501996 powerstroke 7.3

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No the fuel pump was replaced

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am slow at typing but I will answer any questions asked

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
11/30/2017
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 6 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

O.k. this is an issue with the cold causing a component to shrink slightly ( a seal or gasket or fuel component/fitting) causing this leak here.Unfortunately, I do not see any related bulletins or issues on this model for this being a common problem.

What has to be done is to clean off the engine area and see if you can duplicate the fault again to then use a flashlight and automotive mirror on an extendable arm to then use to look in hard to see areas to see which component is leaking then that component needs to be repaired or replaced.

If this is around the fuel filter area check the fuel lines leading to the filter itself.If the filter was not replaced recently this can be the seal for the fuel filter itself or the fuel filter housing as these can be common to cause this fault needing replaced.

In some cases, you may have to look into the injection pump fuel lines and injector fuel line feeds for any leaking issues.

But usually if around the fuel filter this will be the filter itself or filter housing needing replaced or fuel lines running to the fuel filter.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Thankyou Pete, I held off on replacing the fuel pump for about 8or 9 years because the leak was so minor but when my flywheel cracked and had to be replaced I had the pump replaced at the same time. I think the problem stopped for a little while but I am not sure, I do know it is really bothering me now. If I do have the fuel pump replaced should I go with a fuel filter other than the factory replacement pump and location? I am told there is a inline one for better performance

Your welcome

I do recommend factory replacement parts as in most cases they tend to hold up better but if you have been told or located an after market set up that would work as good or better make sure it has some type of warranty in case it fails.Even if you went to factory this shouldn't be an issue again as I suspect the leak is due to poor build or the component failed soon after it was installed which is usually rare to happen.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician