Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Can you give me the instructions on changing the thermostat,

and also the position of...
can you give me the instructions on changing the thermostat, and also the position of the gasket and thermostat. etc and torque specs? I have a 1999 Ford F150 4.2
11/30/2017
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help,

Click here for procedure

Torque is 7 ft lbs for the bolts

Look that over and let me know if you have further questions, if nothing further please complete the rating

Thanks

those instructions dont talk about position of gasket on installation

The gasket has a tab, it only fits one direction. You can see it in the installation portion.

the position is as followshousing => thermostat => gasket => block?

No, the water outlet carries the gasket. Click here for video. He uses sealant in the video. As long as the surfaces are clean and not pitted you should not have to do that.

that does not make sense as the housing has indention where the thermostat sits in it flush. i think that guy was forced to use sealant because he put them in the wrong order.

You can see the gasket in the outlet, that is the one with the tab, the other sits between the stat and the housing. That is the old style, the new style has a rubber gasket that fits to the rim of the stat sealing both sides.

Which style thermostat do you have?

new style, but the doc you sent me, if you look at the installation, you see two rings, which looks like the thermostat. the outer ring is the gasket. i never seen a thermostat with 3 rings like that

I am not sure what you are seeing, if you have the new style it has a slit in it and you fit it to rim of the stat. No other gaskets are needed and no sealant. The rubber is sandwiched between the housing and the outlet and seals both sides of the stat.

can u send me another video or picture of this as any video you sent where someone using sealant to stop a leak from a simple thermostat, I dont trust.

I agree but you take what people make. If you have the rubber gasket it is not shown anywhere as it is a change and not factory but they seal very well.

Do you understand that you are installing the gasket to the thermostat?

i understand, but you dont get that this outlet has an indention. so putting a gasket on the outlet, wont suffice with thermostat as the thermostat wont sit right. the gasket fits the whole housing area,

I do get that, all you need to seal is the rim of the stat.

Can you post a picture of your concern and maybe we can work from that?

the procedure for these gaskets say to install dry, dont use sealant or anything so sealant is not recommended or needed so if we need to use sealent to stop something from leaking where the area is not marred or bent means that something is not installed right.

Are you having trouble with it leaking after you installed it?

How many gaskets do you have? You used the plural. With the rubber there is only the one gasket

I will just install it opposite direction then that guy in the video and be done with it. Him needing to use sealant because of leaks tells me all I need to know that the position he used is wrong. thanks

I'm not sure what you mean opposite direction? The spring has to go to the hot which is toward the engine.

He was not using the rubber gasket type.

im talking about gasket placement as we been talking about. it does not matter which gasket, same thing, paper or rubber gasket. Im going to put it opposite what he did, what i mean, Im going to put the gasket first to the block, then the thermo, then the outlet. he puts the gasket between the outlet and thermo, which is the reason he had to use silicon, to cover up that mistake.

OK, please let me know how it turns out. I don't think you understand the rubber gasket I am speaking of that has a slit on the inner circumference of the square cut gasket that fits on the rim of the thermostat. Either you don't have that type and have the two gaskets or are not placing it properly on the rim and are trying to install it to one side or the other of the stat.

please send me the oem part number of this gasket you are referring for so I can see how this looks.

I don't know where you are getting rubber flat gaskets. You have that one to the radiator, the thermostat and this one with the tab to make a sandwich. Click here for tabbed gasket

The rubber is a whole different type that fits a different design stat and the stat rim is flat so the gasket will fit onto the rim.

Sounds like you have the stat using flat gaskets so you need the pair

there is only one gasket on this vehicle not multiple. please opt out if you do not understand the 4.2. I want specific to the truck, not universal stuff.

If you say so.....

that gasket you pointed to us is the exact same style gasket I showed you except it just has a tab to make it easier to put it in place. nothing else is different so what you sent me does not help in any way whatsover.seems you do not want to send me video or proof of how to install the gasket on this 99 4.2
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Different tech here. There are 2 different designs here. There is a design with a recess machined into the engine and one with it machined into the outlet tube. This recess is where the thermostat seats and the gasket goes on the side with no recess.

So engine side has recess, it goes engine-thermostat-gasket-outlet

So outlet side has recess, it goes engine-gasket-thermostat-outlet

Ford says no sealant is needed. I always do. I do not apply a bead, more so just enough to make it tacky. Like a thin smear on both sides of the gasket about 0.5 mm thick.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
the outlet has the recess, not the engine bay

If more help is needed let me know.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician