Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My truck had intermittent idle. Had it put on code reader…

Customer Question
My truck had intermittent idle...
My truck had intermittent idle. Had it put on code reader and replaced both vct solenoid s and both cam position sensors. Runs worse now.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
11/29/2017
Ford Mechanic: Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech replied 7 months ago
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Is it also making a rattling diesel type noise at idle? Have you had it checked for codes? Does it seem like it is only firing on one bank of cylinders? (one side)

it sounds like a diesel at times. The code reader said to replace both vct solenoid and cam sensors. Which I did

Do you know the actual codes? There are no codes that actually state to replace parts without additional testing. If only it were that easy! For the problem you are experiencing I would expect to see codes:

P0011, P0012, P0021, P0022, P0340, P0345. Any of those present?

Did you use the new style high flow Ford VCT solenoids, part number 8L3Z-6M280-B?

It listed all of those codes. I bought some online, they were 90.00

Ok thanks. I'm not sure if aftermarket VCT solenoids are manufactured to the same flow level as the Ford updated ones. The problem with these engines is lack of oil pressure to the camshaft phasers. The phasers are supplied oil through the VCT solenoids. Ford redesigned the VCT solenoids to specifically overcome the low oil pressure issue to the phasers. On the 08 and newer, the new solenoids usually fix it unless the engine is too far gone. The 07 and older engines usually have base oil pressure concerns that the new solenoids cannot overcome. I have seen the new solenoids not fix the 08 when the engine is too far gone on oil pressure. The oil pressure needs to be 25 psi minimum at idle in gear with the engine fully hot.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.