Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I replaced the guts from a locker with the clutch plates to…

Customer Question
I replaced the guts...

I replaced the guts from a locker with the clutch plates to a limited slip now the speedometer dont work until i let off the gas petal and the tranny starts doing some weird shifting at the same time and the only thing i can think of is something to do with the sensor on the rear end any ideas

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the clutch? Has it been slipping or sticking?

Automatic and it was fine befor i did the rear end

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

1996 f 150 xlt 4x4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

5.8 ltr

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yeah i doing it myself and i tried unpluging the sensor on the rear differential and if i shift manually its like backwards

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
Also today i noticed my speedometer works right when im moveing in reverse
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/28/2017
Ford Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 7 months ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is most likely caused by a damaged tone ring in the rear differential for the vehicle speed sensor, have you checked this yet?

But why would it work in reverse

beacause the torque in reverse will be different, and it may move the tone ring closer, its going to be in the rear sensor , if you replace the locker, then you had the tone ring off?

No i took the guts from another rear end and put them in my houseing but i used my axels
I never took the tone ring off

what did you use from the locker???

Nothing

I am confused, what all did you do?

I took the complete assembley out of another rear end pionion gear and ring gear asembley spider gears and all the screw that held in my spider gears snaped off so we had to cut the pin out with a tourch so it was no good there was alot of metal and play in my original assembley and it looked like bad spider gears but turned out to be bad cluch platets but didnt matter after the screw was broke off only way to get it out
Something else i was wondering is this assembley came out of a newer truck do they all rotate the same direction

ok, then you most likely have a different tone ring, have you compared the old one to the new one?

No not sid by side but they looked the same

there has to be something different, either a different number of teeth, or the spacing to the vss sensor

Ok i guess ill pop the cover off and compare them

yes, let me know,Tim

Ok thanks hope it world

Anytime my friend,Tim