Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The service engine light came on today. So I took my car to…

Customer Question
The service engine light...

The service engine light came on today. So I took my car to an autozone to get a reading. I got a P2004 code and I believe all I need to do is replace the motor under the intake manifold. The thing is I wanna know if it would actually solve the problem or be a waste of cash.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?

Not on me personally however the autozone read the code as intake manifold runner control stuck open Bank 1 and Bank 2

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

Mustang Gt 08

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mustang GT yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing it myself. I haven't tried anything thus far. However this weekend I was going to buy the Intake manifold control motor because it seemed like the linkage behind the intake manifold was trying to move but couldn't

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not particularly

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/28/2017
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 7 months ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, yes this is a common problem on different ford vehicles, not just your Mustang. The intake manifold needs to be removed in order to replace the IMRC control. You must pay attention not to move the new actuator more than you need to when installing it. it should so on the instructions with the new motor.

If you need more help please let me know. If I answered your questions please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

Changing the motor behind the manifold would theoretically fix my problem. This is the best option?

Yes, the actuator motor fails over time and doesnt move as it should, remove the intake manifold to gain access to it to replace it. Replace the intake manifold gaskets and you may want to change the spark plugs and coil boots at the same time sine the coils are removed during the intake repair.