Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Hearing a loud buzzing sound before when i turn my key to…

Customer Question
Hearing a loud buzzing...

Hearing a loud buzzing sound before when i turn my key to run as i allow the glow plugs to heat up before starting sound is coming from the vacuum pump according to this diagram

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

Park

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2000 f250

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I havent tried anything with this issue yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The engine wont start if the temps are cooler then 50 degrees F without being plugged in. Or else it needs a little ether to start

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
11/28/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

That noise you are hearing is indeed the electric vacuum pump. That pump is used to supply a vacuum source for the cruise control servo. It is supposed to run at key on, build vacuum and then shut off. if it continues to always run and is louder than normal, then have that pump replaced.

Also have the vacuum lines from the pump checked for any leaks or cracks and replaced/repaired as needed.

I hope this information/answer is helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!

Chris

Assuming that wouldnt affect the starting of my truck....?
Correct. That vacuum pump has nothing to do with the starting. If you are having cold weather starting issues then have the glow plugs checked.Chris
Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply.Chris

Hello, just seeing if you still need help with your issue,

Chris

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my answer from a few days ago. I have not heard back from you. If for some reason you did not get it, please let me know and I will send it again.

Chris

Hello, just wondering if you still need help. I replied back to you several days ago and have not heard back at all. Please let me know. If you no longer need any more help, then that is fine, but please let me know so I can close this session.

Thank you!

Chris