Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My shifter is stuck in park, but the lights read neutral and…

Customer Question
My shifter is stuck...

My shifter is stuck in park, but the lights read neutral and it is in fact in neutral. I see the shifter cable is off of the bracket on the transmission. Can I just put it back on there or what needs to be replaced.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?

Lights work and no codes.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2013 Fusion

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fusion yourself? What have you tried so far?

The dealer wants to replace the bracket and cable, but it seems like the only thing wrong is the bushing at the end of the cable. It looks like its just missing the bearing in there.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that is it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
11/28/2017
Ford Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 7 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

You need to pull the shift lever back into park and reconnect the cable. The shifter will not move unless the transmission is actually in park. If the shifter cable will not lock back onto the shift lever, the shifter cable will need to be replaced.