Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I just finished rebuilding the engine on my 2000 Ranger (4.0…

Customer Question
Hello, I just finished...

Hello, I just finished rebuilding the engine on my 2000 Ranger (4.0 V6) and I found a hose that I cannot find a home for.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

Auto, i'm not sure on exact mileage, 130k maybe?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am repairing it myself- I had just finished replacing the head gaskets

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, don't think so.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/27/2017
Ford Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** am a Ford technician and I would be happy to assist you with this today.

Do you have a picture of the hose? Or can you describe what it looks like? We'll get this figured out :)

here is the hose:
https://imgur.com/a/Nw3y5
and another: the hose is attached to this tee and it goes up to a component that I can't identify.
https://imgur.com/a/FIIxK
The part that the hose attaches to is below the part with all the pipes coming out of the top (which I also cannot identify), and has another hose connected to it that looks like it goes to the back of the truck in the subframe.

Okay that looks like either an evap or a vent line. Do you see any connections/plugs on the intake manifold or intake tubing that it could connect to? If it is neither of those then check near the coolant reservoir, it may be an overfill hose

There aren't any more connections on the intake manifold. And the coolant reservoir is on the other side of the engine bay.

Are there any connections down the side of the radiator? Some of these have a rubber hose that hooks to the side, although it didn't look like a wet/liquid hose, which makes me think it is vent hose from somewhere

There were just 4 connections on the radiator- the two coolant hose connections and 2 tranmission cooler threaded connections. Can you help me identify either components that I had been referring to in the photos?

Okay great. The second picture looks like it runs up to the evap canister purge valve, which would be that size fitting, try to find the purge valve and make sure it is connected there. There should be two hoses on it and one test port

That's the part- the vapor canister purge valve. The hose in question is attached to the lower (larger) hose connection.
https://imgur.com/G3eTWKB
Does it need to be connected to anything or is it just a vent hose?

Alright awesome, we are getting closer. It looks like that hose should be running up and plugging near the throttle body/intake tubing

I will check it out later on when I get home.

Okay sounds good. I will be here to assist further if needed

Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician