Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Backup camera is "unavailable" Factory it comes on here and…

Customer Question
Backup camera is "unavailable" ...

Backup camera is "unavailable"

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this an aftermarket camera, or did it come with the vehicle?

Factory it comes on here and there but now hasn't worked in about 30 days

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2013 Ford Edge limited

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Edge yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've done a master reset and that's about all I can do, shy of replacing the camera.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Should be it, Ford wants $99 just to tell me what's wrong with it.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Ford
11/27/2017
Ford Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 9 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing great today. My name is***** am a Ford technician and would be happy to assist you with this.

So unfortunately this is a pretty common issue, these cameras do not seem to last long enough on any of these. The usual replacement is a new camera assembly, but before we do that we can test the signal at the camera connector to be sure we are getting the right readings. Do you have a multimeter that can be used for a few tests?

I do have one, yes.