Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford explorer 2006 engine overheating. Works normally for a…

Customer Question
Ford explorer 2006 engine...

Ford explorer 2006 engine overheating. Works normally for a while then the temp needle rise to maximum when, suddenly goes back to normal.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

Yes, no leak

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Thermostat, but the flow is good!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What does the engine does if the fan clutch need a replacement?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
11/27/2017
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you had the actual engine temp checked to see what the temp reads with this issue here when it the temp gauge reads max temp?

Let me know so we can continue, thanks, Pete.

Whats does the engine does if the fan clutch is not operating as it should?

The engine will over heat.It can over heat suddenly depending on the outside temp and engine speed or gradually start to over heat.

I would have the fan clutch checked/tested to see if it needs to be replaced as well as the engine coolant temp sensor for any issues.If you have a faulty engine coolant temp sensor the temp signal can jump this high suddenly and can cause this fault here.I have had to replace faulty engine coolant temp sensors in the past before for this type of fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician