Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I own a 2006 ford escape. this morning it would not start…

Customer Question
I own a 2006...

I own a 2006 ford escape. this morning it would not start and the display said check emissions system

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

They don't look corroded. When I tried to start the car there was a weird noise and the all the gauges were jumping. I was wondering if this could be a battery issue.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have tried nothing so far because I needed to get to work. I was thinking of replacing the battery first.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
11/27/2017
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This sounds to be low voltage due to a weak battery.If you have not tried to recharge the battery or tried a jump start I would see if this resolves the fault.If it does start and run after a recharge or after a jump start then I would have the battery tested to see if the battery needs replaced.A local parts store will usually test the battery at no charge to you.

Now if after it does start and the check emissions light is on still then you need to have the fault codes read out/checked with a compatible scan tool that can read all computers in your model to see what codes are set then those codes diagnosed to then locate and repair this issue.This has to be done if the display still shows to check the emissions system.This could be the EGR system at fault, fuel vapor issue or another emissions sensor causing the message you see.

But most likely once the low voltage issue is corrected the message will turn off.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete