Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2006 F150 5.4L 4WD wont shift to higher gear after long…

Customer Question
My 2006 F150 5.4L 4WD...
My 2006 F150 5.4L 4WD wont shift to higher gear after long distance driving.
It was completed a set of brand new all four brake pad and rotor changes recently. Then, I just put 400+ miles on driving to the Canada. I noticed something unusual along the road. I felt jerking when I release the accelerator around 60mph. I wasn't steeping on brakes.
on the end of the trip, after 2-3 intense accelerate and stopping. The car wont switch to higher gear and the max it can go is around 25 mph with 4000rpm.
other thing i have noticed:
1.The MPG was down 3-4 mpg compare to what I had with the old rotor and brake pad.
2.0-20 accelerate is not smoothing after release the brake. It feels like brake pad is grabbing rotor and not letting go, cause jerking as well.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
11/27/2017
Ford Mechanic: roy, import/domestic specialest replied 6 months ago
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok

from your description. it sounds like the torque converter is the issue. there are clutches inside that wear out and cause the no shift as well as the jerking especially when you accelerate.

Roy

Ford Mechanic: Mike, Auto Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Mike, Auto Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen year of experience in the automotive industry for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

The very first step is to determine if you have any codes using a scan tool, one that is capable of reading check engine and transmission.

The next step, is to determine the fluid to make sure it is not contaminated with metal by using a paper filter.

While you are determining that the fluid has metal or not, you can also see if it smells burnt or discolored.

The next step depends on what you find in the transmission fluid and scan codes.