Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

A local oil change shop said the fluid in the braking system…

Customer Question
A local oil change...

A local oil change shop said the fluid in the braking system was contaminated in my 2010 Ford Fusion.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

Last week ! We took the car home and noticed they were right. To save money we emptied the fluid and tried to add fresh fluid and bleed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fusion yourself? What have you tried so far?

Once new fluid was in the master cylinder no fluid will come out of any bleeders.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

We pushed compressed air from the master cylinder connections through each line to the calibers then we replaced the master cylinder and tried to bleed the brakes. After no success we left the lines off for several days with the master full of fluid, the cap off and bleeder nuts out. Only a very small amount of fluid DROPS come out

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
11/27/2017
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 6 months ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, when you pump the brake pedal and hold the pedal down and open any of the 4 bleeders you dont have a solid stream of brake fluid come out of the bleeders? Contaminated how? The fluid looked black or it had water or something else in the fluid? ANy abs or brake warning lights on before or now that you emptied the system?

The brakes worked fine prior to this issue. No warning lights.The pedal now will not build and hold pressureThe brake fluid appeared to have a black color along with a very slimey water color.3 colors in all appear in the removed fluid. All have seperate properties and do not mix. They sit at different levels in the clear glass we put it into.

Ok brake fluid turns black over time as it breaks down. So the main issue is the fact that it wont build any pressure, I would suspect at this point that the master cylinder has failed. I would remove the master cylinder and attempt to bench bleed it and see if it will build any pressure. Dont use compressed air in the master cylinder, you may have blown out one of the lip seals inside. Bench bleed the new master and continue with conventional bleeding or use a vacuum pump to bleed the brakes.

If you need more help please let me know. If I answered your questions please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

The brakes worked fine prior to this issue. No warning lights.The pedal now will not build and hold pressureThe brake fluid appeared to have a black color along with a very slimey water color.3 colors in all appear in the removed fluid. All have seperate properties and do not mix. They sit at different levels in the clear glass we put it into.We replaced the masterms cyclinder!.We did bench bleed it.Still no fluid at calipers.We also did use a vacum pump to pull attempt to get fluid out of the calipers.Still nothing
The brakes worked fine prior to this issue. No warning lights.The pedal now will not build and hold pressureThe brake fluid appeared to have a black color along with a very slimey water color.3 colors in all appear in the removed fluid. All have seperate properties and do not mix. They sit at different levels in the clear glass we put it into.We replaced the masterms cyclinder!.We did bench bleed it.Still no fluid at calipers.We also did use a vacum pump to pull attempt to get fluid out of the calipers.Still nothing.Our shop handy man brought in a scanner and claims to have energized the abs but says still no fluid to the calibers
The brakes worked fine prior to this issue. No warning lights.The pedal now will not build and hold pressureThe brake fluid appeared to have a black color along with a very slimey water color.3 colors in all appear in the removed fluid. All have seperate properties and do not mix. They sit at different levels in the clear glass we put it into.We replaced the masterms cyclinder!.We did bench bleed it.Still no fluid at calipers.We also did use a vacum pump to pull attempt to get fluid out of the calipers.Still nothing.Our shop handy man brought in a scanner and claims to have energized the abs but says still no fluid to the calibersWe never put air through the master cylinder. We replaced it on a hunch but it was unsuccessful

Do you have solid flow out of the master cylinder at any line if you crack the lines open? The master built up pressure when bench bleeding?

This isnt a hybrid is it?

there is fluid and pressure at the at the master cyclinder. When cracking the lines
there is fluid and pressure at the at the master cyclinder. When cracking the linesIt is not a hybrid. 2.5 se

Ok just checking, As it lists in the attached procedure, whenever the master or before the antilock control unit is replaced they want you to follow the abs service bleed. Since its not showing any codes and the tech you got supposedly went through this, the dealer may be your only option to have them check the antilock block, I have seen them cause low brake pedals before in fusions. But I would follow the procedure as listed first before hanging other parts. SInce the master is building pressure it cant push the air out past the Hydraulic control unit for the abs it sounds like.