Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Having an issue with the brake lights not working on my 88…

Having an issue with...

Having an issue with the brake lights not working on my 88 F-150. Narrowed it down to the brake light switch but when installed the new one it still does not work correctly. The plunger/piston does not push back enough on the plate to activate the switch. I see no adjustments. It works when I place a small screw driver between the piston and the switch plate.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

Level is fine. Hasn't been too long because I had to have the rear cylinders replaced within the last 2 years.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Just replaced the brake light switch. Does seem there is not enough pressure to push back on the switch plate.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I am aware of.

11/27/2017
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, did you get the same exact stop lamp switch?

The switch only goes on one way with no adjustments. Make sure the plastic nylon collars are installed as shown in the diagram and make sure the wiring to the switch isnt overheated or damaged or it will need replacement as well.

The switch is identical albeit a different make. The switch I replaced was the original or it seems as it was labeled as Ford. It is installed. When you depress the brake pedal you can tell that the push rod does not push the switch plate back enough (or at all) to activate the switch. Not sure why.

There is no adjustment, it uses the nylon collars to help lock it center on the pushrod of the booster and the brake pedal,unless something is wrong with the brake pedal mechanism itself. Is the truck a stick shift?

Do you see the brake booster/master cylinder flex on the firewall when depressing the pedal?

No the booster/cylinder does not flex on the firewall.

Ok, just asking because these older trucks had issues with the firewall flexing and cracking when depressing the brake or clutch pedal if it was a stick shift. I would try a ford o.e.m. switch if you are having issues with the aftermarket one then, there is no adjustments for the brake pedal switch.

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans