Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2016 Explorer Limited. I would say total electrical system…

Customer Question
2016 Explorer Limited....

2016 Explorer Limited. I would say total electrical system shut down. No lights no dash, doors won’t lock, and worst of all, car won’t even begin to crank. I am out of town for Thanksgiving and wanted to go home. Can anything be done to get the ecectrical

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Sysrte

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Ststem rebooted so I can crank and go home?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, I need to go home, today, hopefully.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/26/2017
Ford Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 7 months ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

have you attempted a jump start?

I prefer to try a written reply first.
I am waiting. Will I get a reply in writing?

what happened when you attemted to jump? does anything power up?

No, no power to anything

and you are sure the jumper cable are making a good connection?

battery cables are solidly connected.
What can I try next?
John, are still with me?

do you have a voltmeter we need to see if the battery has any charge

No i don’t, but the car was cranked, without any hesitation about 30 minutes prior to this no electrical event. I am quite sure the battery has more than sufficient voltage to at least grunt the starter. Remember, there are no lights anywhere, interior or dash.
The only additional info on this is, it seemed as if I was hearing a relay clicking either in back of engine compartment or in the dash area.

anything else happen did it stall ? did you shut it off and when you went back to restart it it was dead?

this is the third time I have had this problem this weekend. I took the car to an auto parts store after getting it cranked on Wed. after the first trouble. They checked the battery and the alternator. All were in good condition. I drove the car several times without any repeat issues.
Then I had the problem repeat this morning. After sitting for an hour to 1.5 hrs I decided to try to boost the car. The lights came on the electrical system was up and it cranked immediately. As I said above, no hesitation. I cut the car off to load it for my trip back home. I assumed I would be able to crank the car. I tried , but it was dead again.
I have once again put booster cables on the battery. No electrical signal at all. No interior lights, no dinging sounds. Nothing
Are you going to be a me to help or do I need to get it to a dealership?
John, I need to know something, please.

tge first step is checking battery with a voltmeter, next would be to trace the battery cables and check all connections... verify the battery cables are tight and clean at the battery and the ends at the starter and fuse block and at the grounds... when it happened the 3 other times did it restart with a jump? what did you do the other times to get it going?