Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1999 expidition. The front ABS braking has been at…

Customer Question
I have a 1999...

I have a 1999 expidition. The front ABS braking has been at issue for sometime now. I had the rotors turned brakes replaced etc. time and again. I could be driving 60 on the freeway and if I hit my brakes to hard they have a violent ABS pedal braking. Feels like the whole flippin front end is going to come appart

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the brakes? How many miles on the car?

Brakes 12months. car milage 131,000.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '99 Ford?

Expidition XLT

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No im not a mechanic and of course every yahoo out there says they can fix. Im leary of the dealership servce as well.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No its been a great vehicle, and I purchased it new in 1999

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
I think I need to know what to expect if I take it to the dealer for service. After doing some research I find all kinds of things could be wrong. which is what the service department likes.
I had Firestone tires some years ago replace an ABS sensor and that,s all I know about this stuff.
Im planning on keeping the vehicle a little while longer all things considered.
If im driving the vehicle down the street at say 35 miles an hour and brake you dont notice anything, Its just when there seems to be more load on the braking system.
I think I just need to know what the heck the mechanic is supposed to do to fix the problem. Im tiered of getting blind sided by them.
The last guys that worked on it where a tire center. They said it was mostlikly the rotors being out of true or warped. So they changed the rotors but not the brake pads. They said the pads looked brand new.
What say you ford guy?
11/26/2017
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 4 months ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, more than likely if the abs light isnt on and no codes are stored, there is an issue with one of the wheel speed sensors or the tone wheel the sensor reads off of is warped and not reading properly, so it causes a false abs event. A scan tool needs to be used to first test for codes of the abs system and be able to monitor the wheel speeds and see if one doesnt match when it shakes when braking.

If you need more help please let me know. If I answered your questions please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

Do you need more help with this concern?

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans