Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford F250 Diesel 1997- Starts fine, dies when I turn

Customer Question
Ford F250 Diesel 1997-...

Ford F250 Diesel 1997- Starts fine, dies when I turn headlamps on. Looked for shorts in head lights and cannot find. John

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?

Fuses are fine, bulbs look ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have tried removing right head lamp bulb. Problem started after replacing batteries. Have removed batteries looking for frayed wires. Am about to take out batteries again.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
11/25/2017
Ford Mechanic: Dan, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Is your alternator charging? do you have a volt meter?

Voltage not running is 12.38 (has been sitting for some time) Voltage running is 14.32 and is charging. Honked horn and it is OK, did not stop engine. Putting on headlamps causes engine, diesel, to stop.
This started after I replaced the batteries several months ago. I took the batteries out once and I am about to do it again to look for wiring issues. Truck only has 60K miles so everything is pretty good. It sits outside in St. Louis weather an has had chipmunks in engine compartment but I have not seen any chewed wires.

Yes check for chewed wires. You could have wires for the headlamp system back feeding into the ecm or ignition circuit. Do you have a wiring diagram for the headlights?

No

Please take a moment to rate the service you received. I aim to give you 5 star service.

Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. We can continue this chat at no extra cost even after you give a rating.Do you still need any help
I have thoroughly checked the bulk engine compartment for faulty wiring. The wiring diagrams were very low resolution and did not appear to include the head lamps. I am not satisfied with the service and would like to cancel. John Schroeder

I understand completely, however, I do not deal with anything to do with canceling your question. You need to contact the site for that. I am just a user of the site like yourself. I appreciate the feedback that the diagrams are low resolution. What browser are you using? IE, Chrome, or Firefox?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/06q6eom9zc0sxup/va89888.png?dl=0 Try this

Dan, ASE Certified Technician