Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1996 Ford F Super Duty with a 7.3 L diesel engine…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I have a...
Second opinion] I have a 1996 Ford F Super Duty with a 7.3 L diesel engine and Manual trans. I bought it with a no start condition. Diagnosed it to bad injector o rings, replaced them, it started. It started and ran fine for about a month, then was hard to start when cold. Once it got started it ran terrible until it warmed up. After warm up it ran fine and restarted all day. Next day no start when cold.I replaced all 8 glow plugs and glow plug relay.I pulled the ICP plug off it was full of oil. Replaced ICP and and connector. Through some bad diagnosis I replaced 3 injector solenoids and the passenger side valve cover gasket and wiring.No change. Now it is to the point it won't start on it's own. It starts with starting fluid and runs terrible when cold and restarts and runs normally once it's warmed up.I put the snap on modis on it and noticed IpR pressure goes to 3600psi at cranking. While cranking it sometimes kicks like it is going to start and when it does that pressure kicks down to 768 psi for about 1/2 a second.I replaced the IPR and connector, no difference.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
11/26/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 7 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

What is the engine compression on at least 6 cylinders?

Would you like the Ford crank no start diagnostics so you know all the tests you need to run?

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris