Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My overdrive light is blinking off and on. When I stop and…

Customer Question
My overdrive light is...

My overdrive light is blinking off and on. When I stop and start to drive off it acts like it don't want to go but once I get going it runs fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light flash or stay on steady? Do you happen to have the trouble code?

It flashes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2001

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

My friend

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

My windows and radio just quit working

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
11/25/2017
Ford Mechanic: Greg, Technician replied 6 months ago
Greg
Greg, Technician
Hi and good morning.
When the OD light starts to flash this means the PCM has found a malfunction within the transmission system and has put you into limp mode, 3rd gear only ,
You now need to get hooked up to a diagnostic scan tool and check for malfunction codes.
You may find you have only a input / output speed sensor failure which is very common. But the scan will confirm this for you.
Need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me anytime.
Even after accepting you can get back to me anytime without any extra cost.
Rgds Greg
Will this damage my transmission if I drive
Not if you take it easy and if you are only driving to the repair shop but for everyday use I would not use it will burn the clutches .
Greg
Can they get a reading if my check engine light is not on

Yes as they will check for Transmission codes ,

but a normal basic code reader will not read these codes ,will have to be a top level scan tool .

Rgds Greg