Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2015 Ford F-150 and the info center flash message…

Customer Question
I have a 2015...

I have a 2015 Ford F-150 and the info center flash message charging system needs service. Also vehicle will not start even though the battery is charged

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

All terminals are clean & tight

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I turned key on and everything lights up like normal. I turn the key and nothing. I checked battery terminals, battery charge, belt, fuses, and all are good

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Vehicle ran fine up until today. I last drove it yesterday

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
I have owned the vehicle since 2015 and have never had any electrical issues until now
11/25/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 5 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

What is the battery voltage?

Will it at least crank?

Key in the run position what does the theft light and check engine light do?

Battery voltage 14.3. Vehicle will not crank. When key is turned on, all lights on dash come on as normal. Radio turns on, heater turns on, etc. When I turn key, nothing. Then the message Charging Service needed
I even attempted to jump start and still the same

Thanks, ***** ***** know where the starter relay is?

Do you know how to bypass a relay?

Do you have a digital volt meter?

I do not know where the relay is...I know how to by pass the old style starter relays... not sure on newer vehicles. And yes I have a digital voltage meter
Any clues?

Starter relay location. https://www.dropbox.com/s/l07aw1lz9e0ufz6/15strelay.png?dl=0

Does pin 3 have battery voltage, you may need a paper clip to get in there to the tabs.

Is pin 2 ground when trying to start?

Is pin 1 power when trying to start?

Pin 3 jumped to pin 5 does it crank, key in the run position and jumper in place does it crank and start?

I got the diagram. It is 10:30 Pm and 25 below outside. I will need to wait till daylight in morning to test the relay.Why is message window saying Charging System needs Sewrvice Now? Anything else I should lick for?
The message appears only when I attempt to start the vehicle. When I just turn the key to on position, there is no messages.
Any other Clues?
Any thoughts?
OK... I will need to wait till morning to check starter relay and try to by pass the relay. Thank you for your assistance.

The message is because the key is on and the engine is not running and charging the battery. No need to worry about that.

Talk to you tomorrow

Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 4 months ago

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Ron, ASE Certified Technician