Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

99 f450 v10 no fuel no relay click no power to fuel pump. I…

99 f450 v10 no...

99 f450 v10 no fuel no relay click no power to fuel pump. I want to check for proper power at the connector at the plug to the fuel pump but iam not sure what wired do what

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Truck has been sitting to where the battery has drained down. batteries test good and are fully charged

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/24/2017
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Before you check for power at the pump can you go to the inertia switch and check to see if you have key on engine cranking power into the switch on the green/yellow wire and out of it on the pink/black wire and let me know what you find?

when you say interior switch. what are you referring to

Im referring to the inertia switch that is located in the passenger side kick panel. Pull the kick panel off and check the voltage at the switch while cranking the engine over.

ok

Check this for me as a place to start and post back with what you find and I will help you get this resolved.

I probe pink /black to green & yellow crank & get nothing

Are you checking it with the engine cranking over, if not then you need to.

Okay power to the switch comes from the fuel pump relay and fuel pump relay gets its power from the EEC relay and the fuse #19 in the under hood fuse panel, do you have power in and out of the fuse 19 (key on)?

20 amp fuse #19 is good in & out

And you reading battery voltage in and out?

13 volts

The next steps in to check to see if you have power at the fuel pump relay on pins 1 and 3 and a ground on pin 2 while cranking. If you have power on both pins and a ground on 2 then you should have power out on the green/yellow wire to the inertia switch See the wiring diagram in the link below for testing reference.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kmeikzjh2mpoh97/FP%201%20Nov%2024.pdf?dl=0

what colors are what pins

The relay pin numbers are marked on the relay.

what # relay is that

The relay location is in the interior fuse panel and the cover should be marked for which one it is.

I just rechecked the relay location and on this one its actually in the Aux relay panel behind the radio, see the link below. Its marked with an arrow.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6x84j4q41gqcgn4/Fuel%20pump%20relay%20Nov%2024.pdf?dl=0

there is no fuse block behind the radio. but there is a fuse block below the drivers dash top left has a smaller relay with # 1-5 on relay. when I test between 1&3 and crank the engine I get no reading

Its not a fuse box but instead a relay block just as shown in the wiring diagram.

relay in question is behind the glove box. i probe 1& 3 crank the engine 12 volts is present while cranking
12 volts drops off. 12 volts only present for a few seconds

Okay while your cranking on it are you getting power out of it on the pin #5 which is the green/yellow wire out to the inertia switch?

that would be with the relay in correct?

I dont remember being able to access it from the glove box, see if the wires coming out of the relay box match the wires shown in the wiring diagram for the relay.

there is no connection in pin 5 of the plugthere is no connection in pin 5

If the wiring matches it could also be pin 4 as per the diagram, the correct wire color for it is green/yellow. Is that what your seeing?

red/yel
light blue/ purple
blue/orange
black/

Thats not the right relay, the fuel pump relay is located in the Aux relay box as shown in the link I sent you. Its marked as well . The wire colors in the diagram should match the wires at the relay as well.

interesting. is there a way to check the power at the fuel pump

Yes the same pink/black wire at the inertia switch which you said was dead is the same power feed wire at the fuel pump. The power comes from the relay to the inertia switch and out to the fuel pump on the pink/black wire. If the pink/black wire is dead at the inertia then its going to be dead at the fuel pump.

the relay we move to below the dash above the gas pedal. it has the correct colors. 1&3 test 12 volts between. 5 to ground reads no power

The ground is supplied to the relay from the PCM (computer) while cranking and running on pin 2. Pin 5 is the green/yellow wire to the inertia switch. Where you cranking the engine when you check the green/yellow wire?

i need to check from 2 to 5 while cranking?

You can check 5 with your test light grounded or volt meter with the engine cranking . If you still have no power at 5 then try running a grounded jumper to pin 2 and see if the relay energizes and the ump then runs.

when i put a grounded jumper to pin 2 i do not hear the relay and i get no power to 5

That sounds like a bad relay, if it was good it should have entergized and the pump should have ran with power on pin #5. Do you have a known good relay you can install?

i took one from another location in the truck
what are the two leeds that energize the relay

Okay well if you have power on pins 1 and 3 and a good ground from the PCM on pin 2 then the relay should energize and send power out on pin five. The relay is energized by the ground from the PCM on pin #2.

If you jump pin 3 ro pin 5 will the pump run, that direct power and it should if its good.

ok i got 12 volt on 3 nothing is testing continuity to ground.Green has no power on cranking

Did you jump 3 to 5 and see if the pump will run?

jump 3to 5 nothing

And did the pump run? If you have power at 3 and the connections was good the pump should run if its any good.

just for the record last time we ran the truck it ran fine. when one of my men put the battery charger on the truck after the truck was dead. he put the charger on engine start it was on the for a hr or to before i came back and saw it was on the wrong setting

Your not answering my question, And did the pump run? If you have power at 3 and the connections was good the pump should run if its any good.

no i even had the pump disconnected at the tank. i put the ignition on and plugged it in heard nothing

The pump should run with direct power if you have it plugged in with a jumper from 3 to 5.

how do i check the connection @ the tank
what wires are for the pump? what wire are for the sender?

Make sure it plug in , jumping the battery would not have caused a bad connection. The pump power feed is the pink/black and the ground is the brown/white as I have mentioned before.

I tested for power at the connector turned on the ignition & turned over. no power jumped out 3&5 turned on the ignition still nothing.
what are the other 2 relays in that some terminal block

Okay, as I have stated earlier, at the fuel pump relay you need key on power on pins 1 and 3 and a ground on pin 2 from the PCM while cranking and running to energize the relay when then send power out to the inertia on pin 5. The other relay have nothing to do with the fuel system. You are missing something here and I an mot sure where. If the pump is okay then it should run with direct power from 3 to five.

i was asking about the other relays because when i was under the dash moving things around the larger relay was intermitantly buzzing like a door open buzzer.
i only get power on 3 with ignition on. no power on any thing else and no ground on 2

The relay needs power on pin 1 as well. You said earlier that you have power on this pin, its gets its power from the PCM relay. Im not sure what you have going on here and I do not think Im going to get this resolved form here. This one is going to need some hands on testing.

how about it being the the PCM

That is possible , have you by chance connected a scan tool to see if there are any fault codes setting ? A bad computer would not keep the pump from running with direct power supplied to it as well.

Aside of the incorrectly charging of the batteries the battery terminal we melted. I replaced both terminals

If he jumped the truck backwards then that could have smoked many things in the system including the PCM. Do you have key on power to the fuse in the under hood fuse panel?

of course this is happening i want to sell the truck

Well as much as I tried I do not know what more I can do from here. If the battery cables melted then there could be many things that where damaged. Jumping the battery backwards will short all sorts of components.

the battery cables weren't melted from incorrectly installing the cables. the positive terminal we a after market compression terminal that failed and over time began melting.

The relay buzzing usually means you have lost a ground, when you reworked the cables did you by chance leave any grounds off?

I have to check that it’s a good possibility how many ground wires should be at the negative terminal on the battery

Normally it only has the large battery cable ground and it should run down to the frame and over to the engine. If needs a good connection in all 3 areas for the other systems to receive a proper ground.

I thank you for your help today. I will check the grounds tomorrow. You have a good night. Will u be available tomorrow if I need help?

Yes Im here all day tomorrow if needed. Thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service at the top right hand side of the page so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician