Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The fuel evaporative control, It starts fine, but failed…

Customer Question
Hi the fuel evaporative...

Hi the fuel evaporative control

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

It starts fine, but failed emissions

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

1997

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

The truck is a rebuild, if i can fix it myself that would be great. Just came to this site to acclimate myself with what its supposed to look like. Im new to auto mech

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The Pvc failed too, but im not sure the cap on it is right. Also the catalytic converter is original and may need to be replaced. It rattels some.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
11/24/2017
Ford Mechanic: Ron Z., - Ford Tech - replied 7 months ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Do you have a Check Engine Light on?

No, the it is a rebuild I'm not sure the light is hooked up.

Ok. No problem. Just to the side of the description of "fuel evaporative control" on the emission fail report, there should be a "p-code" (ie: P0123). May I have that p-code?

It just says fail, no 'p' code.

Ok. The "fuel evaporative control" is just a very general statement that says there is a problem in the EVAP (emissions control/ercovery) System. The statement itself does not point to a particular item in the system. There are literally dozens of parts and sensors in this system, so we'll need those "p-codes" to narrow down the problem area. Those p-codes will point to the part or sensor that has the fault and from there, the correct repair can be made. So, at this point, we'll really need those p-codes. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Advanced, etc).

I'm going to the auto parts store now, along with the PVC cap what's should I ask them for?

For the free scan, just tell them you need to have the p-codes scanned. They'll know.

As for the "PVC cap" - Are you referring to a PCV Valve?

is it the same on most 4 cylinder fords?

Just give the parts store Year, Make, Model and Engine Size... they'll look it up on their computer and sell you the correct one.

..

HI! I noticed this Q&A was still open and you did not leave a rating, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this? Any other questions you had? If you have no further questions, Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page.