Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Chris, I have an ‘05 Ford F-150 Lariat which couldn’t get a…

Customer Question
Hi Chris, I have an ‘05...
Hi Chris,
I have an ‘05 Ford F-150 Lariat which couldn’t get a inspection sticker because of frame rust (it is bad). I would like to keep the truck because it has 450k miles on it is a special truck to me because I have had it since I was young (my dad gave it to me at 200k miles), and since he passed I really want to keep it. The engine is great and I have yet to have a single problem with it. Anyways, I think it needs a new frame, and I was wondering what the approximate price would be to do that, and if there is another, cheaper alternative to getting a whole new frame? I know I could probably buy a new truck for cheaper, but this truck is special to me, so the cost will be worth it (as long as it is not more than 10,000 dollars).
Thanks,
Jack
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
11/24/2017
Ford Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 5 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Can you send me a few pics of the underside of the truck? I would like to see as much of the frame as possible, as well as where the frame mounts to the bed and cab of the truck so I can better assist you.

I am not by the truck tonight... would it be okay if I sent you the pictures tomorrow?

Yes that will be fine. I just want to see the truck to make sure it is worth the trouble and expense. If there is to much damage to the bed or cab, it may not be worth the money. But if you can do any of the work yourself, you can save a ton of cash.

Ok that will be great. The guy at the inspection station said that the bed and cab are in great condition. It is only the frame that is rusted out.

Lets hope he knows what he is saying. Will you be bale to do any of the work yourself?

That will depend on the difficulty of installing the new frame. Let me put it this way: I don't weld, but I am handy enough to convert an old boat trailer into a firewood-carrying trailer without help.

That is good. There will not be any need to do any welding as log as the frame mounts on the cab are still good. If you do not mind can I ask you what state you live in? This will be important when it comes time to look for a doner frame or truck.

Also is you truck a 2wd or a 4wd?

4wd
I have been saving $10,000 dollars from my wage specifically for this truck repair because I had a feeling that the truck would not pass inspection this year because of the rust. This truck is really important to me because of its sentimental value because my father, who has now passed, gave it to me, so I have no regrets about spending up to $10,000 dollars on the new frame.
I live in Maine

Then it will be best to find a doner truck down south and have it shipped to you. If you are doing most of the work, I believe that you can get the job done for under $4,000. And then you can get some of your money back for scrape metal with the old frome and left over parts from the doner truck.

What engine does your truck have in it?

5.4 Liter Trinton
the engine runs great

Is your truck a 2wd or 4wd?

That may cost a little bit more, but you should be able to get the job done for under $5,000, and have a lot of extra parts you may need latter.

Here is a link for a doner truck that would fit your needs, http://huntsville.craigslist.org/pts/d/parts-car/6342708053.html

ok I am gonna go to bed. I will talk to you in the morning. Have a good night.

You have a good night as well. Chat with you tomorrow.

Ford Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 4 months ago

Just wanted to check in on you and see how things are going.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician