Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Hope you can help. I have a 2009 flex and can not unlock the…

Customer Question
Hi hope you can...

Hi hope you can help. I have a 2009 flex and can not unlock the tailgate. I push the unlock button on the driver door or the fob button and all doors unlock except the rear hatch. The other day it was working we loaded with groceries and got home and no luck opening it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

Yes just put in a new one. All other doors unlock but not rear hatch. I do hear a clicking and feel movement when I push the fob button

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Flex yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not sure what to fix yet but I am living in Mexico now so Ford dealer is a bit of a drive

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No just what I stated before otherwise no issues.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
Hi. Are we connecting now?
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/23/2017
Ford Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 5 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Hello, I hope you are having a great day! My name is***** am a Ford technician and I would be happy to assist you with this.

So what you are experiencing is a pretty common issue on the Flex/Escape models. Over time the rear lock latch actuator fails and will either be stuck locked/unlocked. The latch is pretty easy to swap out on these.

If you have a multimeter we can do a few preliminary voltage checks, let me know and I will upload a diagram and let you know what has to be checked :)

I have a meter please send diagrams
Ok here is the liftgate schematics
Start by checking voltage at fuse F34 and F14, if those have power then we need to test for power at the liftgate module
Funny thing I tried the liftgate last night and it worked. Checked the F14 and 34 good. Seams like our problem is intermittent as will work 1 or 2 times then not the next.

Ahh that is interesting, if it is intermittent like that then I think it is going to be either the liftgate module or the latch, more than likely it is the latch

When it doesn’t unlock with all other doors I can hit the fob button and hear a click and also feel it but does not unlock.

Alright, then it does sound like the latch actuator. When these fail they will break/strip inside, the actuator tries to engage the latch and binds up, which causes it to remain in the lock position, it probly works intermittently because the gears inside are still occasionally catching

Ok so what do I need to do. We pick up friends at the airport and sometimes can’t open the hatch to load luggage. Is there a way to over ride it or somehow open the hatch when it doesn’t unlock?

If the latch is failing then the only thing we can really do at this point is replace the latch assembly. If it goes too long like this it will completely fail, which will not allow you to get it open at all anymore

Can you tell me the part number and where I can order it from please?
Here is the part number for the Ford part:
Gate Latch - 8a8z-7843150-bThe only place I found online that has it is an eBay seller, you may want to call and see if your local dealer has one in stock, but here is the link for the the eBay listing:https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F332364388767
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician