Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Got a starting issue with a 58 plate fiesta MA58 UXO. CAR…

Customer Question
Hi there, got a...

Hi there, got a starting issue with a 58 plate fiesta MA58 UXO

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

CAR WOULDN'T START ON THE FIRST OR SECOND TURN OF THE KEY BUT DID ON THE FOURTH

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fiesta yourself? What have you tried so far?

HAPPENED TWICE SO TOOK IT TO GARAGE GARAGE REPLACED STARTER MOTOR AND IT CONTINUED TO HAPPEN GARAGE ADVISED NEW BATTERY BUT THE ONE THAT WAS IN WAS A 3 MONTH OLD VARTA THEY REPLACED ANYWAY BUT, AFTER FITTING IT AND FINDING THE PROBLEM WAS STILL THERE, REMOVED IT AND DID NOT CHARGE ME

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

CAR IS A 1.25LITRE PETROL 5DR 70K MILES THATS PRETTY MUCH IT :-)

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
11/23/2017
Ford Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Is this problem still persisting?

What I would like you to try is at night , the next time you go to start the vehicle turn the lights on then try to start. If the problem occurs, observe if the headlights dim low or stay bright. After you try this let me know so we can proceed.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

Car is not located on the Island where I live. I leave it at the ferry port, which is beside the garage that has been doing the work. They feel I should just trade the car in which I do not wish to do as it is a decent small mainland car for me (that I have just fitted with a new battery and starter motor)
When the car does start, it is not a lazy start in any way. the starter motor spins it well and it fires up and drives no problem. Switch off after a*****and then go to start again and it is dead on the first turn, maybe second and then turns and fires no bother after a couple more turns

Ok thank you for that info, and yes these are fine cars with a good reputation! There are a couple of things that can cause this [1] the starter solenoid, [2] the starter relay. They both have electrical contacts within them that can stick or loose contact and that is what I feel is happening. The starter solenoid is mounted on the starter and reading your notes the starter has been replaced , so lets assume it is a good replacement. That then leaves the starter relay which is in the auxiliary fuse block.

Following will be some pics for you so you will know what I am telling you.

as the immobilizer LED goes out as it should then the immobilizer system is OK so you need to check the starter motor circuit. Start by checking fuse 51 in the fuse box under the bonnet, make sure there is 12 volts here. If this is OK then check for 12 volts at pin3 of the starter relay and pin 2 of the starter relay with the ignition in position III. If these are OK then refit the relay and with the aid of an assistant check for 12 volts at the small red and black wire on the starter motor, if there isn't 12 volts then there is a starter relay fault. If there is 12 volts here then check that pin 1 of the relay is switching to earth when the ignition is turned to position III. If all the wiring is OK when checked as above then although the starter motor has been tested there must be a concern with this.

Below shows the position of the starter motor relay, it's K94 in the diagram below.