Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My brother has a 99 ford ranger 3.0 and it has a pretty big…

Customer Question
My brother has a...

My brother has a 99 ford ranger 3.0 and it has a pretty big coolant leak it's coming from the passengers side of the engine block and more toward the front page f the vehicle. I'm thinking it may be a freeze plug and was wondering where I can locate it exactly

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?

I replaced the heater hoses and the t connectors because I thought it may have been leaking from there initially due to the coolant being underneath those hoses and connector pieces

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

But then we started it up after adding the proper amount and it started coming out pretty rapidly but not from the hoses

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that pretty much sums it up

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
11/23/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 7 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

You need to get an actual view of the leak to confirm it is the freeze plug prior to just assuming. You may need to use a cooling system pressure pump, flashlight, or mirror to help you get an actual view of the leak from above or below. You do not want to assume its a plug and it end up being a head cracked or gasket failure or the intake or water pump. Freeze plugs are not easy to replace with the engine installed. I would hate for you to go through that possibly causing another leak source if done wrong and it still leak.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris