Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2005 Ford crown Victoria Fan and over heating issues. I have…

2005 Ford crown VictoriaFan and...
2005 Ford crown VictoriaFan and over heating issues. I have a brand new fan and controller. However my tune is set to have the fan on full speed by 220 degrees and it's not coming on full speed it's on but low.. when I pull over and the car is 220 degrees. I can unplug the CHT sensor which in a few seconds fail-safes the fan to full speed( sounds and feels like a jet..) cools the car in seconds... Where do I look next?
11/23/2017
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician
Good evening, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** would be happy to assist this evening.It sounds to me like the CHT sensor has failed, since the temp guage is reading correctly that makes me think the head temperature may be throwing a false reading. Do you have a multimeter to ohm out the sensor?
The CHT sensor and ECT are brand new and reporting correctly. It's just the fan is seemly not hitting the right speed ? Does the ground come from the PCM?
I only unplugged the CHT cause I know the car commands the fan to full speed fail safe mode.. so I could verify the fan was not at max speed in its current state idling at 220 degrees
I've multi metered, OHM and volt tested. Checked temp data with three devices.. SCT xcal2, forscan, cheap eml obd adapter. All datalogging shows temperatures are correct, the issue is the fan speed not matching what it should.
Okay that is great info, it seems like you have checked all the basics then.The ground signal is provided by the PCM, so it is possible at this point that it is not fully grounding it. Normally I would lean towards the controller on this, but since that is already new then we may have a ground issue
Can you link me to some diagrams for the ground to the PCM for this one? I have a new PCM on the way for an odd PCM ground issue to another sensor.. so I'm wondering if it's a shared ground to the PCM and not the PCM... Though it may be the PCM.They come into different connectors into the PCM. I'll be home soon where I can check some diagrams..
Okay not a problem, I will be back at the computer in a few and will link those up for you :)
Thanks, ***** ***** the full engine bay diagram. But for the cooling system it just points to a page I don't have..If I could get details on all the ground locations to the PCM and the cooling fan wiring/details..When I disconnect the CHT sensor.. how is the ground magically working? Is it not coming from the PCM then? Or maybe the PCM just has a hard time holding varible ground and not full grounds.. if thats possible or makes sense.

Alright here is the entire ground distribution schematic as well as the cooling fan power/ground diagram. The cooling fan control is grounded with the PCM as well as a chassis ground on circuit 57. I would trace that and make sure you are not losing a ground connection along the way

Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician
Awesome thanks, ***** ***** something that shows the physical location of the grounds in the engine bay? like that 57 you mentioned says ends in harness front left (where is that)?I can see the 2 ground wires going into the hardness mounted on the body right near the PCM wiring connectors. I know where a couple more are, but hopefully there is some map or diagram where they actually connect

From what I am seeing it looks like it runs to Ground G102, which is located near the left hand fender and near the airbox, you should see a few black wires mounted up to it. Otherwise to find the grounds you will need to trace them into the harness to find the splice, usually this will be obvious as the harness will look swelled out a bit more than the rest

What about G107 where is that located? is there no map that shows the GXXX locations?Also thanks
What about G107, G204 where is that located? is there no map that shows the GXXX locations?Also thanks

The diagrams I am showing do not display a harness view, but if my memory serves me correctly, g107 splices off the maf sensor and should be near the battery, and I think 204 is the right side a-pillar near the windshield

Happy tday.I cleaned the corrided grounds for g106/107 on the left fender next to the PCM. Did a long drive and no p0443 yet.. plus the EVAP test cleared quick it usually takes two days...However I was driving a bit agressively for my current tune and I threw a p0190.. which also uses a shared PCM ground I believe.. I've never seen this code in my life so I assume if came from cleaning or moving the ground wires.. might be a break in their connections under the wrap.. or it was just my driving for the tune and it bugged out...
Awesome, that is great news.The new code may have popped up after you worked around everything. I would suggest clearing it and retesting to see if it comes back
Where is g102 ground ?
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician