Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I bought a 94 econoline van and it ran perfectly. It had…

Customer Question
I bought a 94...

I bought a 94 econoline van and it ran perfectly. It had been sitting for a very long time. Then it starts sputtering while stopped and turned off. Check engine light is coming on sporatically and the engine is sputtering while driving it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It doesn't blink like it's timed. It does turn on stay on for a few seconds. Turns off. then off on off on then off for a while.... it happens with the sputtering of the engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '94 Ford?

It's an V6 e350 van

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I bought the van less than 3 hours ago. If it is an easy fix, I will fix it myself. I was thinking water in the fuel tank as I live in a very rainy place and it has been sitting for a long time..... maybe needs a tune up.... maybe the plugs aren't firing.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
11/23/2017
Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 8 months ago
Cesar Jimenez

hi im cesar jimenez and i will be here to assist you today. im reviewing your question now.....

have you checked for how much fuel pressure the pump is giving off?

I have not. I have put in Heet to see if it might be condensation in the fuel from sitting too long and I also put seafoam in as well to try and clean out the fuel injector. I am going to replace the fuel filter tomorrow and see if that resolves the issue. Any other ideas as to what the problem might be. It seems to work fine for about 20 minutes if you let it sit for 20 minutes then starts the sputtering again
Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 8 months ago
Change the filter and if it stays the same I suspect a faulty pump..
Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago

just checking up on you. hope you found the problem. please rate me on my services thanks happy holidays