Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2oo2 ford sport explorer we drove it in the garage and next…

2oo2 ford sport explorer...

2oo2 ford sport explorer we drove it in the garage and next morning would not start . Battery was bad replaced but it turn over twice than it kicks out , won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

My husband took the battery to Bomgaars they tested it. Said it was bad so we replaced it .My husband did .before he did this it would not even turn over. Turns over but kicks out. Do you think it's the starter?

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Explorer?

2002

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

My husband is doing it so far we just did battery . People have said timing chain ,fuel pump ,injectors.lots of advice

11/23/2017
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

If the engine is cranking then its not the starter.

What have you come up.with

have you checked for spark? injector pulse? does the theft light go out when cranking the engine? are you getting rpms while cranking the engine? what does the battery voltage drop to when triyng to start?

Well you have gave me good advice. I went out and checked the theft light and rpms it has set 7 months I pump the gas it turn over did this three times it started guess it did not want to be sold
Thanks for your help . This is the first time it started

oh wow. ok. very good. is it running ok?

it's running o.k I'm just shocked it's running

sometime vehicles drive you nuts. they do to me everyday. on here and in my shop

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

thank you. happy thanksgiving.

Same to you.thanks and happy thanksgiving.there are just things to be thankful for.

right on.

David whatever is wrong it drains battery fast
Today won't start.

ok, then you need to test it for parasitic drain. you will need a voltmeter and a clamp on ammeter.

My husband wanted to know if its possible to pull it to make it start.

pull what?

Pull SUV with truck to start it

is it an automatic transmission?

absolutely not. you will ruin the transmission

Bill's sister said maybe the bendix

is the engine even cranking?

No it's not. My husband told me to thank you,and let you enjoy thanks giving.

ok, if its not even cranking, it has nothing to do with the bendix. enjoy your day too.

We are trying to get the starter off to check and see if it has a dead zone in it .any suggestions on how to get the top bolt off ,it's right next to the frame,and motor mount.

4.0 or 4.6 engine.

4.0

ok

theres really no trick to it.

What do you mean by no trick to it. Bill says there is no room to get a wrench on it.

you need to use a socket and extension. its easy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rLRE5hl3VI