Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Grinding noise when it starts. oil and transmission oil are

at the proper levels. ac...
grinding noise when it starts. oil and transmission oil are at the proper levels. ac is running warm though.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: just started today front driver side is the area I just put in leak sealant but haven't tried to recharge it yet.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 1996 V8
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: leak sealant
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: what is the proper pressure? how do I know if the compressor is bad?
11/22/2017
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Can you tell me what your working on please? Need the year , make and model as well as engine size.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
1996 ford explorer V8
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
grinding noise when engine starts. ac is running warm. I added leak sealant. not sure if I should add 134a.

Your Ac compressor is on the driver side and the noise your hear may very well be a bad bearing in the compressor. Before you consider charging the system I would advise you to remove the drive belt and then take your hand and spin the compressor pulley and see if there is any resistance and or noise. If there is then you are likely looking at replacing the compressor due to a bad bearing.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
ok - I can hear the clutch engage and disengage as see the pressure go up and down. at the least the compressor is working. correct?
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I'll give it a try
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
the air isn't always cold, though. what would that be? sometimes it is hot air blowing. That is why I started with refrigerant and leak sealant.

If its low on Freon it will not be cold. Normal pressure on a full system with the compressor running should be right at 35 to 40 PSI on the low side and 200 to 210 PSI on the high side. I would check the bearing before adding any Freon.

Just checking in to see if your still needing help with this , if so please post back and we can work from there if need be. If not then please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I am going to check the bearing now.

Okay Im here if needed

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
It turns freely but I hear a little klink every rotation. no grinding.

Okay while you have the belt off try spinning all of the other pulleys.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
the others are quiet and stable. when I spin the compressor fast it sounds like a few small marbles and it wobbles.

Okay it should be smooth with no noise at all so I suspect that is the source of your noise. Before you put the belt back on try starting the engine up and see if the noise is gone. Dont run it to long to avoid overheating the engine.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Ron, ASE Certified Technician